PDA

View Full Version : Ice Conditions

pinnowc
01-11-2011, 03:07 PM
Planning my first of several trips up to Little Bay on the 30th. I spend all my time north of the narrows and I would like to get some information regarding the ice conditions. Is truck travel taking place all over the upper bay? I usually drive on at Days River or the yellow gate. I don't have a snow machine or a 4-wheeler, so truck travel is a must for where I usually go.

Thanks,

Wally Eye (aka Sassa Frass)

pinnowc
01-11-2011, 03:08 PM
I guess it would also be beneficial to know the snow conditions on the ice...if any.

Thanks,

Wally Eye (aka Sassa Frass)

RoughWaters
01-11-2011, 03:54 PM
I was out on Saturday in the upper bay, and the ice varied from 12-14 inches, anywhere I drilled. There were trucks all over the ice and didn't seem to encounter any problems, just be careful around the pressure cracks. There was very little snow cover also, maybe 1-2 inches in places, but lots of barren wind swept ice. I don't know if they received any more snow, since I drove down from Marquette, where we got a good amount.

YooperTroll
01-11-2011, 08:47 PM
I drove my truck off the yellow gate last week...a good foot of ice then. It's been pretty cold ever since, so I imagine there's even more ice now.

Can't speak for the rest of the bay, though.

pinnowc
01-12-2011, 10:12 AM
Thank you for the information. That's what I needed to know. By the time I get up there on the 30th, I'm sure things will change as far as snow conditions, but there should be more ice.