PDA

View Full Version : Fishing report for 1-09-2011

walleyemaxx
01-10-2011, 09:10 AM
Hi everyone,

Got out yesterday afternoon and evening. Despite the High barometer and cold cloudless sky, I was able to catch 4 Walleyes and a bunch of small Perch. Started out jigging a jigging Rap and a spoon tipped with waxxies. Nothing would touch that combo, but There were lots of fish on the Vex They would charge up to the bait, but not touch it. After an hour of that nonsense, I switched to putting minnow heads on the hooks instead of waxxies. That was the ticket. Even though he Perch were all small, they kept hitting that combo. They would charge up and whamo. Lots of fun. None worth keepng, but still a lot of fun. Finally the Walleyes came in and I caught 4 and lost more. All on jigging except one Walleye on the tipup. All the Walleyes were cookie cutters at 13". The tipup Walleye ate a sucker minnow and rest were caught on jigging Raps and minnow heads.

Was on a lake with a 15" size limit, so catching all those small Walleyes looks good for the future. All those small Perch should help those Walleyes grow fast. The Walleye pictured is the size they all were. That Walleye was the only tipup fish. Only one flag all night. Ususually this lake is a good tipup lake. This year however, I've caught most of my Walleyes jigging them.

The ice is in super shape. No problem with mobility on ATV's or snowmobiles. Still wouldn't drive a truck out there yet. Ice is right around 10-12 ". 2" of snow on that, so good traveling. Good luck to anyone going out. Post a report of your fishing. We all would like to hear about it.

Walleyemaxx

JerkyJosh
01-10-2011, 01:08 PM
Must be nice to fish for some wallleye's. I fished the flowage this weekend pretty hard trying to find fish. Not much to tell, found perch where i normally fished blue gills in the winter and caught 4 northerns for the whole weekend. I could not move around as much as i wanted as my ice auger will not start. Worked Friday night and Sat. morning but that was it. I have a strikemaster that is 4 years old. Know anybody that can fix it for a decent price? i also need to invest in a camera so I can post some pics.

JerkyJosh
01-10-2011, 01:09 PM
10-12 inches of ice everywhere i went this weekend on the flowage.

walleyemaxx
01-10-2011, 02:47 PM
Hi JJ,

Thanks for your report. There are some good lakes around the Flowage that are open to Walleye fishing. I have a strike master auger too. Mine is about 15 years old. I had to get it fixed up a couple years ago. My buddy Jigboy is the best Mechanic in the world so he fixed it up for me. I ordered the parts from strike master directly. What you should do is see who is an authorized strike master dealer in your area. they should know who can fix it for you. Did you put fresh gas in it? If not, try that first. Small engines can be fickle about that. If you used last years gas, it won't work to well. Let me know how it goes with your auger. I'll be seeing jigboy this week and I'll ask him for his advise.

Walleyemaxx

JerkyJosh
01-10-2011, 03:04 PM
Yeah I used new gas. I actually burn off all the gas before I store it for the summer. When it did start it had a tough time staying on, like the idle speed was to slow or something. i was told to take it to Cutright or Cartrights next to Hanson Tire. Guess we will see.

walleyemaxx
01-11-2011, 10:14 AM
Hi JJ,

Hopefully you get her fixed up quick. Sounds like any small engine guy could fix her right up for you. Maybe just a tune up with plugs and all. Fish will be biting this weekend. Email me and I'll put you onto a spot by chief lake for Northerns.

Walleyemaxx