PDA

View Full Version : Heading out Tomorrow New 7x12 Trailer Shack

upfisherman98
01-08-2011, 10:10 PM
Will be heading out to the bay tomorrow for the first time this year ,have a 7x12 Trailer Shack I built off of a Pop Up Frame . Was thinkin about going off yellow gate access. Is there anything I should worry about ? Shack weighs around 1100 lbs and will be towed out with the 4 wheeler. Also If your out there and you see a trailer that kinda looks like a airstreem camper feel free to stop by .Will be fishing and staying the night out there till Wednesday.

Ifishok
01-08-2011, 11:56 PM
Should be fine, haven't been off the yellow gate this week but trucks have been going off with no problems for awhile. Follow the paths and good luck!

schmutzomatic 5000
01-09-2011, 09:03 AM
Good ice now. All you need is clearance to get down the access road.. some really good frozen rut's in there stay in the track...

YooperTroll
01-09-2011, 10:00 AM
I was out five days ago (last Wed) and there was a foot of black ice and trucks were driving everywhere...you shouldn't have any problems. I can't speak for anywhere else on the bay, though.

upfisherman98
01-09-2011, 10:27 AM
thanks for the conditions report :) can't wait to get down there , loading everything up now , will hopefully get down there before dark , time for me to kick it into gear lol , will post my fish report on this thread while im down there... Thanks again :)

The Bait Shop Guy
01-09-2011, 06:56 PM
upfisherman98's trip to the bay started with a bang! A couple of them, actually. I'll let him fill in the details for you, later:eek:

BiG ARN
01-10-2011, 08:21 AM
Let me guess.......he put too much money into building the shack and thought the dry rotted tires would be alright? LoL. Sorry Blayne ........I hope its more like two hawg walleyes were banging there tails off the walls when ya pulled them through the hole!

upfisherman98
01-11-2011, 09:06 PM
Lol Erin , I wish that was what happened would of been cheaper. First off, We make it down to gladstone by 3:30 Which was earlier then we planned for. We were excited because we would actually be early enough to get the shack out on upper bay before dark. As soon as we pulled into Bay View Bait and Tackle we smelled some burning rubber. We get out of the truck and both rear tires on the truck that i just bought 2 weeks ago were smoking. Rims were sizzling and 1 of the tires actually started on fire . As we are looking at the smoke coming from the tires one blows up like a shotgun , Echoed decently . lady jumps out of her car yelling at me asking me why I shot at her car. I was like my tire blew up , we dindnt shoot anything , as we were talking the other tire blew up. Then the tire started on fire . This is were chris(the bait shop guy) came out with water to put on the tire. Well what happened was the emergency brake somehow got stuck on even though the lever wasn't down . one of the wheel cylinders exploded so i had to do the old nail trick to the master cylinder so I could have front brakes. I only had one spare tire at the time. Was sunday so wasn't havin much luck finding one. The Bait shop Guy ended up letting me borrow his and I wanna say thank you so much with out that tire We would of been stuck on the ground sleeping in the shack instead of being out on the ice . Also would like to thank his wife for looking up a few phone numbers for me. So as the story goes on we launched off the terrace being that it was the closest and we didn't wanna drive far being that we didn't fix the brakes yet and were squishy.
So we launched the shack being pulled by the 4 wheeler and start on our journey , we get to the pressure crack and you can see everyone been going across it all day with np's . So we start to cross it front tires on the 4 wheeler make it np but the rear tires on the 4wheeler went down . Shack got pinned and was basically dangling there by the frame . We ended up getting the 4 wheeler rack and jacked up the frame of the shack and about an hour later as we were trying to get it out about 5-6 guys walking on foot were heading in . they helped us push it across and again if you read this forum ty guys also . So we are finally out and get farther out and setup up everything not thinkin to check the depth . Yup 5-6 feet deep. We decided just to wait till morning and left the shack there and ate dinner at around 1am and went to bed . Woke up the next day , did the nail trick to the master cyclinder so we had front brakes . Ended up buying a tire off craiglist from a guy in gladstone. So we went and returned to the bait shop to return the tire and bought minnows . Finally we were ready to fish . Got to Upper bay and set everything up , noticed we forget the minnows at the bait shop!:( went back got the minnows and started fishing. Ended up with a smaller walleye and alot of fish that would look at our bait but wouldnt take it . We went all over the bay trying different spots. Wasn't the best time Ive had fishin out there but we were fishing and that's what we came to do :) . Packed it up in the afternoon today and drove home today. Did see a few nice perch caught today though from a buddy that was next to us. Will be back down again in 2 weeks . Hopefully things will go much better. Want to say thank you again to the bait shop guy and those 5-6 guys that helped us. :)

BiG ARN
01-11-2011, 09:34 PM
Sorry to hear about the bad luck.....that's one hell of a story though! Can't believe the lady thought u were shooting at her and instead of taking off she wanted to yell at ya...lol. after a trip like that I would think it should only get better for you! Good luck next time

slammer
01-12-2011, 08:15 AM
Hey upfiserman98,

I laughed, I cried, I feel your pain...
I guess the good news is , the whole shack didn't go up in flames and nobody got hurt , other than the lady that got shot a couple times and suffered from smoke inhalation!!!
When you were talking about getting set up and only being in 5 ft of water is when I cried....from laughing so hard. Sorry.
I really don't think it can get any worse for ya from here on in. Good luck and hope ya knock the snot out of them next time your up. Hope to get a tour of the shack some day too.
Slammer!!!

walleyemick
01-12-2011, 09:14 AM
well the good news is your luck can only go up from there. Atleast you have augers, i would assume, last year my 15 year old cousin walked out in front of our neighbors house to go fishing around 1pm because we were all napping. He didn't know how to run the auger so took my spud, wanted to get up a little in from my tip up in 25' to try to catch a big pike to win our big fish prize for the week. I had a 8.5# walleye and he was determined to beat me. Well there was about 10" of ice, he damn near killed himself spudding through just drop his depth finder in and have the tip up make 3 cranks. He was in 3' of water.
That was the best part of the story, he ended up getting a line set in 18' i came out about 2 hours later and reset my line in my hole, about 20 min later i got a flag. while walking to my flag i watched my dads go up just down the bank. I ended up catching a 10# pike, but the crazy part was when i went to unhook the fish there were 3 lines in his mouth. My hook was in the lip as was my dads and there was a 3rd swallowed. I asked brandon (my cousin) if he set his tip up correctly as he was new to ice fishing and he told me yes, i walked over and the flag was set on the wrong side of the trip and all the line was stripped off his reel, since his sucked was swallowed we would have to assume that the pike ate his first.
The poor kid was sick, not only was it the biggest fish of the weekend it would have been the biggest fish he'd ever caught. I felt pretty bad but had no way of knowing until it was too late. He did learn one thing though, he has never set a tip up wrong since.

Kind of amazing, that pike went from 18' first to 25' and back to 22' as he worked down the bank eating all 3 suckers which were all pretty big!

The Bait Shop Guy
01-12-2011, 10:07 AM
The whole building shook when those tires let loose! The motel owners thought somebody drove a car into the building!

You forgot the part where you left your ramps in the parking lot of the baitshop. You get to the Terrace, unhook the shack, go to unload the quad and, "oops, no ramps!" Good thing the Terrace is only 1/4 mile down the road.

Anyway, glad to help out. Better luck next time.

BiG ARN
01-12-2011, 10:22 AM
U should of fished the shallow water! Me and some buddies paid 200 dollars once to fish in a shack smaller then yours in 3 foot of water just a couple hundred yards south of the south yellow gate for only 12 hours! All u need is a bucket full of suckers so big ya gotta chop the tail off them or they spool your tip ups! We caught a hammer handle pike....but we only fished for 12 hours! 12 lines 12 hours 12" pike! LoL

Dull Hooks
01-12-2011, 12:31 PM
Wow..... Chris, you should start a "bad trip of the year" award given out by the bait shop. You could have a little trophy (broken of course) and a free lure (with a bent hook). You could post their picture and story on a wall of fame in the shop. I think we have a contender here.

Thanks, this made my day!!

The Bait Shop Guy
01-12-2011, 09:38 PM
I could probably scrape up enough melted tire rubber out in the parking lot to make some sort of "trophy.":D