PDA

View Full Version : bluegill bite

rph
01-05-2011, 09:06 AM
are the gills biting good anywhere in the area thanks

The Bait Shop Guy
01-05-2011, 10:46 AM
We've been getting a lot of good reports from Gene's Pond. You'll have to sort through a lot of small fish to get any keepers. Tons of action, especially good for kids.

YooperTroll
01-07-2011, 11:54 PM
I did okay out at Groveland today. Got enough eaters for a meal, anyway. Did pretty good at Gene's last weekend. As Chris mentioned, you have to pick through the small ones (at both places) but you'll have action.

YooperTroll
01-09-2011, 09:36 PM
...I do want to add that this latest batch I got at Groveland was so infested with those black parasites that I didn't bother to finish cleaning them and eating them. They've always had those out there (and I've always eaten them anyway), but this time they were so black and so infested with them I said the hell with it. The ones last week at Gene's were a lot cleaner.

It was beyond ridiculous this time around.

slammer
01-10-2011, 07:13 AM
Hey YooperTroll,
Last year we caught a bunch of pretty nice gills and crappies from the mine ponds and they too were so loaded with the black poppyseed looking parasites that I just couldn't eat them . According to the DNR web site , they are safe to eat if properly cooked . I don't mind a few , but they were ridiculous. It's a shame to have to waste them, but don't feel bad. I won't waste my time going there anymore because of it . It's too bad, great place to go and always have pretty good fishing.
Slammer!!!