PDA

View Full Version : Need advice

tomjohn
01-04-2011, 03:47 PM
I think I might have posted this last your. Oh well here goes. I was fishing for whithfish off of Garden today and like last year the whitefish will swim by and not even look at the baits I present to them. Some will come in pretty close but then they leave as quick as come in. I also see lots of whitefish in the back ground on my camera going by. It's not like I'm not seeing any to say they aren't biting because I am seeing lots of them. I tried throwing almost everything in my tackle at them but with no luck.

Help me...

Tomjohn

perch"n"eyes
01-04-2011, 04:10 PM
i went out there 2 or 3 years ago with a older freind . He used a old nylon (pantyhose) packed it with a big hand full of dead minnows , tied it up and squeezed the minnows , smashing them and dropped it down and fished . Try it see if it works for you , i dont know i went out on the bay yesterday and got 5 eyes 16-19" in about 45-50mins went back out this morning got 1 perch.?????

ski2313
01-04-2011, 05:54 PM
How are you trying to catch them? What lure/method, etc?

tomjohn
01-04-2011, 06:50 PM
Hi there ski...

I tried jigging several different methods. I tried dead sticking. I let the bait lay right on the bottom with no success. For bait I used mousies...waxies...wigglers and minnows. I tried just minnow heads also.

tomjohn

grasshopper22
01-04-2011, 07:18 PM
On the green bay side i catch them by tying a small bell sinker on the end of the mono line then about 3 inches above that I tie a small loop as if you where going to make a three way. than cut the loop and tie a very small hook to the end so that the hook can fall all the way to the bottom when the sinker comes to rest on the bottom. Now place 2 or 3 waxies on the hook and send it to the bottom and as you are seeing the whitefish very gently bounce the sinker off the bottom making a small silt cloud. when the fish see this they seem to swim over and check it out and that is where the three waxies come in, they slowly sink and the whitefish seem to suck them right up. it works great with a camera because you can see them suck it in and set the hook with out even feeling the bite.

tomjohn
01-04-2011, 07:37 PM
Gasshopper...Sounds like a way to catch em. Will give it a try next time I'm out there. I know they are there...I see them all the time on my camera

ski2313
01-04-2011, 08:28 PM
tomjohn, PM on the way.. Got an awesome tip from Chris/baitshopguy last year that accounted for nearly every whitefish we landed last season (after experiencing the same thing you described earlier)

The Bait Shop Guy
01-04-2011, 10:56 PM
Feel free to share any info I may have shared with you in the past. Sounds like I'll have to start tying up some whitefish rigs.