PDA

View Full Version : plastics

behr10
12-28-2010, 05:45 PM
anybody ever try plastics for perch up here i know on lake winnebago i kill them jumbos on plastics. Any help would be appreciated. Will be up over new years

raywriter
12-28-2010, 07:35 PM
I use soft plastics almost every time out, along with other presentations as I try to find out what is going to work best on that particular day. They work great at times, but not every time.

One year a 1/32 ounce green jig dressed with a red plastic garden worm cut down to 1 1/4" in length was a real killer. I like one-inch long plastic crayfish on small jigs as well. There are plastics that look something like wigglers I am experimenting with now. People often tell me that plastics cannot work better than real live bait, but they are wrong. I can get certain actions from plastic that cannot be duplicated with live bait, but that does not mean plastics are always better.

Most of the time the results you get depend on how much effort you put into your fishing, and how well balanced your tackle is with the presentation you are trying. I carry a dozen rods in various actions, spooled with line from two to six pound test, and that is just for perch.

The bottom line is that new discoveries are made by spending time and effort into improving your versatility. I never say that I know everything there is to know about ice fishing. If I did, I would not be able to learn anything new!

befishin
12-29-2010, 09:28 AM
Behr10 - I use a plastic wedge, usually red on a Hali chain attached to a jigging spoon. The little trick I use is to tread a piece of floating gulp crawler up the chain. When the spoon hits the bottom, the gulp cause the wedge to float up. Maybe it looks like a blood worm coming out of the bottom? Sometimes it gets those lookers to bite.

What kind of plastics do you use down on Bago?

perch"n"eyes
12-29-2010, 09:46 PM
been nailing nice 12-14" jumbos on moonshine's smallest size clown colored spoons tipped with minnow head in 20-25 ft , the one's that dont take the spoons almost always take a glow colored ratfinkee tipped with a wiggler on 4lb test rod.