PDA

View Full Version : Blue perch???

walleyemick
12-28-2010, 07:39 AM
I was fishing for walleye on a local lake (Intermediate, in Antrim Co.) on Christmas Eve morning when a unknown fisherman came over and asked me if i had ever seen anything like this. He opened his bag of fish and to my surprise there was a blue perch in there. Although I am not a real avid perch fisherman I fish alot and have never seen anything like this. Its not a white belly and the only was to explain it is, "Blue"
I know there are a lot of people on here who are much more experienced perch fisherman that I and have seen many more and I was just wondering if any one knew anything about this strange fish.

RudyG
12-28-2010, 07:58 AM
Very Unique!! Never seen anything like that. I did a quick search and turned up some interesting reading.. on Blue walleye too. Seems its a pigment thing.. or lack of... simliar to albino.

This is a good article on the blue perch..
http://www.meta-religion.com/Paranormale/Other/blue_perch.htm

And University of WI - Washington county Professor, Dr. Wayne Schaefer has been studying Blue Walleye.. he has a blog here.

http://wayneschaefer.blogspot.com/

great Post!

jkoll
12-28-2010, 09:37 AM
I go fishing in ontario almost every year and we found a lake that had quite a few blue walleye. They are very cool. I have seen a few different shades as well.

nitecrawler128
12-28-2010, 03:28 PM
I saw a "Blue Perch" mount done at Realistics Taxidermy (Norway, MI) last fall. From my understanding, this is very rare. The mount was really, really cool!

BiG ARN
12-29-2010, 09:08 AM
I caught a blue perch yesterday in kipling.......my second one. I caught another a few years ago

steve l
12-29-2010, 09:43 AM
Years ago while smelt "fishing" in Oak Creek, WI we pulled up a blue pike, about 26-28" if I recall. We released it. Very cool!

slammer
12-29-2010, 02:38 PM
I caught one last year too on the bay and I believe we talked about this last year. Very cool looking color , but changed and got real dull by the time I got home. I read the attached link provided by Rudy and was surprised that I actually know the Professor doing the research, as I went to the college he teaches at in West Bend, Wi. . Small world eh !!!
Slammer !!!