PDA

View Full Version : New hours, first trip report

The Bait Shop Guy
12-15-2010, 11:42 PM
Now that we have some decent ice and are finally starting to get a little busy, we'll start opening earlier. New hours are everyday 7 to 5.

Made my first trip of the season tonight. I saw that there is ice south of Gladstone now, (everything north of the Gladstone harbor is iced up.) Made my usual first trip out to the first dropoff south of Gladstone. Found anywhere from 3 1/2 to 7 inches of ice, depending on if you were on the black ice or the shove ice. Very little snow on the ice, so creepers are a must unless you like slipping and falling a lot.

Got a late start, but managed to catch a couple walleyes and make the voices in my head go away, (I haven't been fishing in a month and have been tweekin' pretty bad, waiting for a fix!:eek:) Anyway, I set up in about 30 FOW, and started marking fish right away. I caught a dink on a #9 clown Rap, and a 18 incher on a #2 clown Shiver Minnow. I had three fish on the graph when that one hit. Unhooked that fish, and dropped the bait back down quick and missed a second fish after just a few jigs of the bait. Thought things were going to be really hot, but that was the last fish that bit for me, (had a lot of lookers, though.)

The other two guys fishing with me both caught fish, too. Ray caught an 18 and a 20 incher, and lost a couple keepers at the hole. Nick landed a 18 incher. Both were jigging with assorted jigging Raps. No action on the tip-ups tonight.

Temps already down near zero in Gladstone as I type this. Making good ice! :D

tipup_time
12-16-2010, 07:25 AM
thanks for the report!!

befishin
12-17-2010, 09:01 AM
Are the yellow gates open yet?

The Bait Shop Guy
12-17-2010, 10:36 AM
Are the yellow gates open yet?

Yes, they are.

befishin
12-17-2010, 04:45 PM
Thanks Chris - now I just gotta figure out when I can get there.

Darn Holidays/Family Commitments!