PDA

View Full Version : ice conditions

tipup_time
12-12-2010, 11:15 AM
planning a trip up there as soon as the ice is safe...how is the snow affecting the ice? anyone been out since the storm? let me know.. thanks !

The Bait Shop Guy
12-12-2010, 12:41 PM
The upper bay has only been iced over for less than a week. I talked to a couple guys Saturday that had been fishing off the blue tanks that morning. They said they walked on at Kipling, and had between 3 and 4 inches of ice. No problems with slush, but that was before we got all the snow last night. Hopefully the strong north wind blew a lot of it off the ice so it isn't insulated and being weighed down.

Keep an eye on the site. We'll let you know when it starts getting safe.

The Bait Shop Guy
12-12-2010, 12:44 PM
Forgot to mention, a buddy of mine went down to the harbor and found about 6 inches of ice between the launch and bridge. He got 1 undersized pike, and missed 1 or 2 more on tip-ups.

tipup_time
12-12-2010, 06:55 PM
hey thanks.. i really look forward to fishing LBDN. just moved from northern mn and am going through serious walleye withdraw. I actually would not have taken the job offer here in Peshtigo had it not been so close to LBDN. from everything ive heard, its the place to be for trophy eyes.

The Bait Shop Guy
12-13-2010, 04:21 PM
I grew up in central Minnesota, (Alexandria.) We had good fishing there for all species, and I'm glad that's were I really learned how to fish. That said, for a total fish-a-holic like me, I'm much happier living here. If you had no problems catching walleyes there, you'll do just fine up here.

Anyway, good news to report on the ice conditions of the bay. The heavy snowfall reports for the UP were mainly form north of here. The lake effect snow machine was in full effect, but most of it petered out around Rapid River. We probably got less than 4 inches around Esky and Gladstone. The strong north wind made for some drifting in town, but blew most of the snow off the ice. Talked to some guys that were east of Butlers Island this morning. They found ice from 2 to 4 inches, no slush. Temps are supposed to be in the teens and single digits through next weekend. I wouldn't be surprised to see sleds and quads on the ice this weekend. If you insist on using your machine this early in the season, please use extreme caution!

tipup_time
12-13-2010, 06:26 PM
yea a good friend of mine grew up on lake Osakis.. I was up in bemidji.. Heck of a place to live.

Jighead
12-13-2010, 10:24 PM
Ice is good for careful walking, not sledable. Another week and the fish is on. I am excited. Good luck to all you adventurers going out early. 8 shacks today all the way out to the middle reef. Use cation. The bit is there, but takes some finessing. Please, just be safe.