PDA

View Full Version : December 8 - Ice Report

Brandon Dunbar
12-08-2010, 12:16 PM
Ice Report - Ice conditions around Phillips are looking great. Most area lakes are showing a solid 6 inches of ice. I am not recommending the use of four wheelers or snowmobiles yet! There still may be some "questionable" areas. The 10-day forecast is looking great for making lots of ice.

Fishing Report - The Walleye bite continues to be outstanding! One thing I need to stress on targeting these first ice Walleyes is location. Think back to where you caught walleyes in the fall; they are still in these areas. In the last week, I have caught Walleyes in anywhere from 2 - 16 feet of water. Shallow flats with structure; Primary drop-offs into the main basin; and river channels are all areas to target. You can't go wrong with tip ups, but also try jigging with small to medium spoons like Forage Minnows, Sweedish Pimples, or Buckshot Rattlin' Spoons tipped with a minnow head or a whole minnow.

The panfish bite continues to be great as well. Target Crappies and Gills on shallow flats with any kind of wood or weeds on the bottom. Tip your favorite panfish jig with waxies, spikes, or soft plastics.

Looking for Pike? Shallow weeds flats with large suckers or shiners will do the trick.

Good luck and be safe!

Cjack
12-09-2010, 01:45 PM
Brandon,

i am looking to do some ice fishing on Long lake this coming weekend. In your opinion is that lake safe enough to walk out on? Any bad areas to stay away from that you know of?

John Carlson
12-09-2010, 02:35 PM
4-wheelers started going out on Duroy and Wilson the last couple of days. I know that people are walking on Long.

Brandon Dunbar
12-09-2010, 03:36 PM
Cjack,
Yes, the ice on Long is definitely safe enough to walk on. I was out on Long this past Sunday down by the dam and there was a solid 4 inches of ice. Still, use caution and stay away from high current areas. Good luck this week.