PDA

View Full Version : Inflatable PFD's

Pete Stoltman
11-09-2010, 01:05 AM
On last nights RFRG show we were talking about the inflatable style pfd's (life vest). I mentioned how nice mine worked, comfortable, etc. This is especially true for when I'm row trolling because it isn't bulky and get in my way. Ed Lund called to ask which one I had purchased because he had some and found that they were somewhat uncomfortable or small around the neck. If you've seen me you know I'm a pretty big guy and certainly wouldn't tolerate something tight around my neck. The model I purchased was a Cabela's Guardian Series Angler 3500 auto/manual. Here's a link to their page if you want to check that one out http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/browse/boating-life-jackets-vests-inflatable-life-jackets/_/N-1100590/Ns-CATEGORY_SEQ_104399280

This style will inflate if you pull the ripcord or if the vest is submersed it will inflate automatically. It also has an airtube which you can inflate just using your breath.

I had to keep my eye on it all night because Matt kept wanting to pull the ripcord. I told him "no way until I get a replacement C0 2 cartridge". Anyhow this is a handy gadget that really solves a safety issue without causing a lot of discomfort. A bit more expensive than your typical lifejacket but if it saves a life it's more than worth the added cost.