PDA

View Full Version : Grouse Hunting question

walleyemaxx
10-25-2010, 08:55 AM
Hi everyone,

Got an email the other day from someone inquiring about how the grouse hunting has been. Whether the cycle is up or down. Sure would appreciate anybody who hunts to answer this question. I don't hunt anymore, so am unable to give accurate info.
Thanks.

Walleyemaxx

Mark Benson
10-25-2010, 11:20 AM
Tom:

Happy to lend what info I have been able to on a short time schedule... Have been able to move birds on almost every trip. Mostly flushing half dozen birds per hour to two hour trips in the Minocqua area. Right now I am thinking that we may be on the peak and starting the down hill slide that has been on its way for a year or so in my mind (thinking that last year was going to start the down, but it really didn't). During the summer's bear baiting, I ran into surprisingly few birds (lots more local woodcock), but since I have started to get off other beaten paths a few more birds have been showing up. Talking to friends, like they are getting birds up as well and have heard a few reports of really good flushing days from certain area further north and west of here. Just gotta get out and wander!!!

A word of caution... the bear/deer ticks are absolutely at their worst all over the area!!! I finally purchased the Elimitick clothing from Gamehide and that has been helping me, but the dogs... not so much. So it is, tick check in the a.m. and in the p.m. Picked eight off me before the Elimitick and none since, worth buying!!!

Mark

walleyemaxx
10-26-2010, 10:45 AM
Thanks Mark,

I don't hunt anymore so I couldn't help the guy out. I did talk to some other guys and they all said basically what you said. I quess if you hunt the well managed Aspen stands, you'll see more birds. All the other guys did say we are on the first year past a peak year, so there are still good numbers of birds. Thanks for sharing your info Mark.

Walleyemaxx