PDA

View Full Version : 10-22 report

The Bait Shop Guy
10-23-2010, 06:22 AM
The walleyes have been a little lethargic, but the perch have been pretty cooperative for most people, lately. Took one of my buddies out on the upper bay Friday afternoon. We were on the water by 3pm, and the weather was fantastic. For once, the weatherman was wrong - in a good way! Instead of strong, south winds, it was light out of the southwest. We decided to check out the area south of Saunder's Point first. Marked LOTS of fish in 27 to 33 FOW. Worked them for 20 minutes without a bite, and decided to head up to the upper bay.

Well, while we were heading north, the predicted south wind finally blew up. When we got up to all the anchored boats near Center Reef, it was pretty rough. We dropped an anchor and started catching fish right away. Nothing real big, but we ended up keeping 10 fish. Caught them on both worms and minnows.

On the plus side, the water in the bay has finally started to cool. After being in the upper 50's since early September, the temps are now down around 50 degrees. Everyone we have talked to lately has commented on all the fish they are marking that AREN'T biting. Hopefully the cooling water will finally start to turn the walleyes on again.

The Bait Shop Guy
10-25-2010, 09:13 PM
I got out of a doctors appointment sooner than expected this afternoon. Figured I'd better take advantage of the last nice weather window we might have for a while. Left Kipling and headed up to the area between Days River and Center Reef where we last ran into some fish on Friday. There were a few boats anchored up in the area, but I didn't see any hook sets while I was graphing the area. I marked very few fish, so I headed down to Saunder's Point. No fish there, either. Decided to check the first big drop east of Butler's Island. Marked a few fish along the base of the breakline in 20 FOW. With less than an hour of light left, I set up on them. Landed 3 nice perch and 2 rockbass. Not great, but with those 5 plus the 10 from Friday, we had enough for a nice meal. All the fish were barfing up baby gobys. Caught them on both worms and minnows. Water in the bay was 51 to 53 degrees.