PDA

View Full Version : Lake Monona mystery object and dive 10/18/10

rk_diver
10-19-2010, 07:56 AM
Dove Monona again yesterday, this time to look at a large object off Tonywatha that I found with the side scan. No idea what it is, but for those interested in lake history my best guess is it's part of a large dredge that (I'm guessing) broke up years ago. I say this because there's three large pieces laying on the bottom between Schluter Beach and Morrison Street by the Yahara River, all in a direct straight line. One piece is the actual cutting piece (huge!), the other is the bucket half, and the third a 25' long by 6' wide pontoon. This piece is at least 5' tall and 5' long with a circular area on top that's got what looks like sprockets that would mesh with some gears. There were four small (8" or so) smallmouth sitting on top of it. Surface temp was 60°F, bottom temp at 30' was also 60°F. Never got below the thermocline on this dive. Also went back last night to drop the camera down to check out some deep water (35') weed beds. Quite a few very large areas of weeds, with lots of little bluegills and white bass in them. A few perch were hanging around outside the weeds, laying on the bottom. No schools, just a few individual fish scattered around. Rick