PDA

View Full Version : Sucker Availability

Pete Stoltman
10-19-2010, 06:36 AM
The unusual high water this fall has made it difficult for trappers to supply the quantities of suckers that they usually do. Many shops are either out of suckers or on a very limited supply basis. My best suggestion is to call ahead to your favorite bait shop and ask if they've got some in stock. R&H Musky Shop just got stocked up with 500 yesterday and in good shape for now. Island Sport in Minocqua also got some but probably not as many. Haven't confirmed but have heard that shops further north are not as fortunate.

Pete Stoltman
10-21-2010, 08:58 PM
Just an update on the sucker deal. Still short supplies coming in. Many bait dealers are just plain out of them or only getting a small handful of suckers at a time. Since we had a good supply at the Musky Shop word got out in a hurry and had guys coming from as far as Hayward to pick up what they could get. I suspect the rest of the season is going to be touch and go as the bait dealers are trying to ration out whatever they're bringing in. On the good news front we have been getting good reports of fish hitting on both suckers and artificials. If you find yourself without suckers don't worry, the world will still keep turning, and muskies will still attack lures. Right now jerkbaits seem to be taking the lead as an effective presentation. Other baits producing have been crankbaits and soft plastics (you know, the things that sort of look like suckers). Get out there and start throwing.

Muskie Matt
10-22-2010, 10:15 AM
Ah, "the great sucker shortage of 2010"! Man! I've only been able to find dinky little suckers around Eagle River. So small that they should be sold by the dozen! The weight of the hook makes them hang upside down in the water. I've taken to hooking them... ummm, near the anal vent, just so they swim upright. Hey, it works.