PDA

View Full Version : Catch rates for Walleye go up in Oct.

walleyemaxx
10-16-2010, 10:29 AM
Hi everyone,

I found this article from the DNR.

From the DNR

Walleye catch rates climb in October

October may just be the best time to catch ol’ marble eyes. Catch rates are higher than at any time during the summer, the water is less crowded, heat and bugs are tapering off and fall colors make every trip satisfying for the soul, if not the stomach.

“People are putting away the rods and turning more toward the bow and shotgun, but the hardcore anglers are actually doing pretty well right now,” says DNR fisheries supervisor Mike Vogelsang.

“About the time the leaves start falling on the water, that’s when the action heats up. It is absolutely worth it for more casual anglers to get out on the water if they want to catch walleye.”

UW-Stevens Point and DNR fisheries biologists analyzed angler surveys from 1991 to 2002 in northern Wisconsin to assess fishing pressure and catch and harvest rates. They found the catch rates in October were more than twice as high as in July, when most people were fishing for walleye.

DNR fish biologists and technicians are now busy conducting fall surveys using electroshocking boats to capture fish to weigh and measure before returning the fish to the water.

If anyone would like to chase Oct. walleyes, give me a call.

Walleyemaxx

walleyemaxx
10-20-2010, 10:10 AM
With this gorgeous weather we are having, it'll probably take untill November to get the better conditions. Anyone wants to chase November Walleyes, give me a holler.

Walleyemaxx