PDA

View Full Version : 10-10-10-report

walleyemaxx
10-11-2010, 08:26 AM
Hi everyone,

Today's half day guide trip had a lot better results than yesterday. It was still very slow, but we were able to catch some very quality fish. Guiding the same two fisherman as yesterday, Bill and his son Gregg, we started out at 8 A.M. With almost no wind and cool air temps, we fished for an hour before we caught our first fish.

Bill hauled in a nice fat 201/2"er. I was busy bringing in a Perch, so Gregg expertly handled the netting duty's. After high fives, we measured and took pictures of the nice walleye. As luck would have it, we went a long time before landing another fish. After all was said and done, we had boated Walleyes, crappie and Perch.

The pattern for the morning was the tops of humps. From 7-12 feet deep. Even tho it was bright sunny the whole time with hardly a whisper of wind most of the time. When we did get a breeze, I would set up a drift between humps in the basin areas. I was marking a lot of fish deep, but they would not hit. When the wind would die to absolutely nothing, which was most of the time, I used the trolling motor to keep us on the humps. We caught all the fish on the tops of the humps. Cover was a key element. If you didn't snag up frequently, you didn't get bit. We had lots of bites and lost lots of fish, all on top of the humps. The fish weren't real aggresive. They were just stopping the jig and holding on.

We caught all our fish on jigs tipped with large fatheads. The weather was beautiful for July, but sucked for Oct. The high was 79 degrees! When the wind did blow, it was no more than just a ripple on the water. The wind was from the North, than died. Came back from the West, than died. Than was a Southwest wind. Very inconsistent. The water level has dropped close to two feet from last Monday. The water temp. started out at 59 degrees in early A.M. And was 62 at 2 P.M. Way to warm for this time of year. These warm temps. just keeps the natural forage plentiful, which makes it tougher to catch fish but not impossible.

If you would like to tackle some October Walleyes, give me a call. We can set up a trip.

Walleyemaxx