PDA

View Full Version : Boreal Bay - Fishing Report - 8/29

Kevin Nelson
08-31-2010, 10:01 PM
Thinking I have been a little behind on my fishing reports...

Weather really has been decent the past couple weeks... some cooler weather keeps dropping in with highs in the mid 60's every few days, often enough to remind us that fall will be coming. The changing fronts also have brought us a few windy days, sometimes making it hard to fish the places people really want to be. We also have had a few hot humid days which are driving even me to jump in the near 70 degree waters of Kakagi (Crow) Lake.

Lake of the Woods has had another algae bloom and fairly green along the western shores.... as you go further out into the lake it gets better... at least until we get a strong east wind.

Jean, Jenny, Amy and my newest little friend Lilly went home to Buffalo, this past Sunday. They had a great summer, thanks to week after week of great guests that they enjoy. I certainly miss having them close by, but will see them all again in October.

Fishing?

Lake Trout are biting fairly well most days - mornings and afternoons have been the best bite. Jigging and Trolling groups both having success. A few in the 8-9 pound range have been caught.

Walleye have not been jumping in the boats, but the groups are catching them, further out into Lake of the Woods seems to get better. No one fishing Cedartree for a couple weeks... but will have some groups headed into it in the next few weeks.

Muskie a couple boats have been looking - 39", 42" & 46" catches reported from LOTW. Seeing some mid 40" on Kakagi and a couple big fish lost but not seen.

Bass catching a few trolling and some with livebait on Kakagi. Several 1-3 pound Largemouth caught on spinnerbaits in Whitefish Bay (LOTW).

Northern Pike are biting well for those who target them for a few hours, a few mid 30" Northern Pike caught.

I did bring Jean over to Whitefish Bay for 2-3 hours of evening fishing and we caught 20 Northerns and 7 Bass.

If all goes well, I should have my bigger boat back where it belongs (on the water!) middle of next week.

The Lodge now has a roof. Possibly this weekend the carpenters will have it shingled. I think our guests will really enjoy the Lodge when it's done... the lake views are very nice.

Regards,