PDA

View Full Version : What kind of boat?

acesario
08-24-2010, 11:30 AM
I've been dreaming about a second boat, a a bigger salmon fishing boat like a 23' Bayliner trophy. I'm not convinced that I want to own 2 boats (and my wife certainly isnt!) Plus, after rolling around in my 16' mirrocraft last night in 1-3 foot waves at the Ford, and barely able to run up in to the waves to fish I'm wondering if I wouldnt be better off selling my boat, and buying something half way between... something I can walleye fish out of on the bay, fish inland lakes and take the family skiing etc. Something that can handle some water. Any recommendations on a good all around walleye/salmon/family boat?

My boat is is a lot like this one:
http://up.craigslist.org/boa/1909086061.html but 3 years old, with a 50hp honda 4 stroke, trolling motor etc.. Any ideas on what my boat should be worth used?

BloodyNose
08-24-2010, 01:30 PM
I have a Starcraft 180 Superfisherman and it pretty much does everything. It is very deep and wide and handles Fairport with no problem and is small enough to get on inland lakes if the launch is decent. It also costs a ton less than a Lund.

schmutzomatic 5000
08-24-2010, 05:02 PM
My Dad has a 190 Starcraft superfisherman and it is awsome... can handle just about anything you can throw at it. Enough room for four people very comfortable and if the wind picks up you dont have to fret.. Makes me leave my smokercraft at home every time...lol I had a 25' Bayliner and for the extra fuel and being to big for some things I would pick one similar to this and save high fuel costs....IMHO

Fishoil
08-24-2010, 08:52 PM
I'd keep the boat you have and buy a cheap bigger boat. Being a 2 boat owner is a little more expensive but it gives you options that you don't have with just one boat. I was in the same position as you several years ago and thought I solved my problem by upgrading to a 21' boat. After a couple more years I ended up buying a 24' Trophy for salmon fishing. I don't regret having 2 boats at all, actually 3 but I tell my wife the 14 footer doesn't count because I hardly ever put the motor on it.:D

acesario
08-26-2010, 09:13 AM
I actually used to own a Starcraft 190 superfisherman deep V, about 12 years ago. I sold it when I got too busy with sleddogs. It was a really nice boat, handled big water really well... i remember being out in 5' waves off Petoskey and never feeling in danger.
Also fished walleye on burt lake with it... worth considering. Thanks for all the feedback.

Lil Bob
08-29-2010, 12:12 PM
Ihave a 1988 Trophy 23.9 which is actually when measured 25.4 Its a great big water boat. Got caught in lake Erie in 6 -7 footers and we kept on trolling. Its a heavy boat 7680 lb dry I haul it on a 30' Alumnium trailer. Tows like a dream even coming from Kentucky to Lil Bay De nocs for our 2 week vacation.

Its very Def not a small lake boat and not a boat for sking but it is a great fishing and family crusing boat. When we are in Bay De noc we always run to the lighthouse or Ford river can to see how the walleye are doing, makes the trip enjoyable. We stay at Linbergs and have beenfor years Love te fishing love the people

DooFighter
08-29-2010, 03:02 PM
I compromised 3 seasons ago and bought a 21ft center console fglass boat. My majority of fishing is big lake salmon. My boat does that well but there are many days I wish it was 3-5' longer. My limiting factor was money because I wanted a new boat. In hindsight I maybe should have looked for a 2-5 year old boat in the 23-26' category for similar money. However I got the satisfaction of rigging it exactly the way I wanted from a clean slate, instead of redoing what someone else started. Seems like everybody does things differently with different ideas. It was my experience after looking at many boats that a lot of people Jerry rig things rather than spend the time to do it right. Having a dealer rig seems like one way around that, but not always, some of them do it too.

I now find myself looking for a 15-17' used boat for bay and small lake use. If I find one, that would be great but then I know I'm going to want to go bigger on my big lake rig. That then forces me to choose between giving up the boat I love that is totally rigged to my preferences and I know its entire history for an unknown boat.

I guess life is full of difficult choices :) Good luck in your search.

acesario
08-29-2010, 09:55 PM
Thanks for all the good advice and opinions.....I'll keep thinkin, and workin towards a better big water boat one way or another.

Salmon Guy
09-02-2010, 12:01 AM
It is a 29.9 foot Baha Cruiser. "1997" Fully rigged. Awesom salmon boat!!!