PDA

View Full Version : Retrive on a Pacemaker

twells
08-20-2010, 11:40 AM
Ty,Have you played around with different retrives for the Pacemaker as to runnining it faster, burning it for a few cranks or pausing the lure for a brief second or two?
I ask this because I can't remeber if I made a pause on the fish I caught a couple of weeks ago that it worth trying or not. Or if the standard steady retrive is the best way to go. If another retrival is used when or what situations would you do that with.

Ty Sennett
08-22-2010, 06:17 AM
Usually slow and steady wins the race for Pacemakers. I wouldn't try too many twitching or pausing with it as the fish will usually turn off when that happens. If the fish are really aggressive a faster retrieve will work but not often.

Ray Perry
08-22-2010, 06:35 AM
Really I don't think there is a wrong way to run a pacemaker. As long as the thing is in the water they catch fish. Although all my fish have come on a slow steady retrieve back. But then again that's the way Ty always tells me to bring it in.

Ray

Yake Bait
08-22-2010, 08:52 AM
Only technique or change up that I have used successfully is a slight speed increase when you have a fish waking behind your lure for a portion of the retrieve. Speed change should be subtle not dramatic and do not want to compromise the action of the lure (aka making it roll). Sometimes a gentle rip to clear weeds off the prop gets some interest as well. As a general rule I don't do this unless the lure is fouled and the retrieve is otherwise a loss. Other thing of course is the figure 8 at boatside.

I have made the mistake of slowing or stopping the lure on a hot follow thinking that I would get a reaction strike and to my dismay had the fish loose interest. Tried this more than once and enough to decide not to do it again - personal rule of mine is to never stop the lure as part of the retrive.

I have tried sweeping my rod from side to side induce some direction change (at a distance) with followers and it seems that this only serves to get them disinterested. I think that if you do it maybe one time is OK but if you do it and don't get a reaction just keep bringing it in straight until the 8. The ones that I can think of that made the fish loose interest were after a series of sweeps and then the wake dissapears and nothing on the figure 8.