PDA

View Full Version : Where's the cold water

DaveO
08-18-2010, 09:07 PM
I read that the one boat that did pattern the muskies at the PMTT found some water that was 8-10 degrees cooler than anywhere else. I never would have thought to look for cooler water, but I guess that's why I don't do this for a living. I was more worried about how the water was affected by all of the rain (levels, clarity, etc...). Just wondering where you guys think they found the coldest water? I'd guess Crane Lake area. Just a guess. Dave

randers41
08-18-2010, 09:10 PM
I'm guessing East Fork of Chippewa River where it comes in by Winter Dam

andracke
08-18-2010, 11:12 PM
Crane Lake and Crane Creek were off limits - Not sure how all of that worked. Maybe a northern part of the lake where there is feeder stream?

Snizz
08-19-2010, 10:30 AM
The cold water is everywhere...it's just deep...try finding bait fish or fish cribs and get lures down around the 17 to 20 ft range...crank baits, depth raiders, bulldawgs...definitely a pattern that was working during the PMTT...

A pattern that I have never even attempted on the chip because we pound weeds edges, and that works...but sometimes you need to change it up...

the winning team caught 5 fish in < 6 hours...using topwater and bucktails...they just happened to win the lottery by finding a feeding frenzy...

The best part about the PMTT is seeing all of these different patterns produce...makes you think a little harder, and in the end, makes you, me, all of us, better fisherman...

twells
08-19-2010, 10:45 AM
I have to agree with Snizz from the fact that when you take people from all around and watch how they fish it does put a little different perspective to how you may fish a spot or holding on a spot. We noticed this during the WMT championship years ago. It does put a whole new perspective on fishing spots, areas, and go about it.

Ty Sennett
08-22-2010, 06:25 AM
The winning team was actually fishing very shallow. They found one area that the fish were just stacked in. The spot is terrible and I doubt there have been more than two fish caught there in the last ten years but for some reason the fish moved in there. I know the spot and have fished it many many times and have never seen a fish there. It's not a money spot by any means but for that day it was and give credit where credit is due, those guys figured out a pattern when nobody and I mean nobody in the the whole tournament did. They deserved to win.

ChipVet
08-22-2010, 09:35 AM
Fished it many times years ago and only got a couple there but out from where they caught the fish. I was there a few days before the tourney but not after the last big rains. I went there the morning after the tourney at 6:30 and they was a boat there already but neither them or I caught any fish that morning after 4 hours of fishing. Once in a lifetime deal and I would not waste any time trying to find out where it is located but it is certainly a great performance by the team that was there and they deserve all the credit they get for that adjustment.

Ty Sennett
08-23-2010, 10:59 AM
"Once in a lifetime" is correct Chip Vet. I don't see that spot working out like that again in the near future or ever for that matter. Not unless we see a 45 degree night in the next day or two with five inches of rain. Just one of those rare things that happens. Right now there is warm water coming into the spot and no temp change whatsoever. I give credit to Scott and Reby for sticking with their game plan. Was it lucky? Yes and no. Scott knew what to do from fishing back home but the fact that this spot panned out is pretty crazy. I haven't fished it since the tourney and don't plan to this year or next year for that matter. It's not a good spot but it was a great spot that day. Let's just say the stars aligned that day.