PDA

View Full Version : Looking for an Eastern Fox Snake

The Bait Shop Guy
08-18-2010, 10:52 AM
Jim McGrath has an exhibit at the UP State Fair with native reptiles and amphibians. He stopped by the shop to pick up some worms to feed his critters, and wanted to know if I knew where he could find an Eastern Fox Snake (commonly called a Pine Snake,) to add to his exhibit. I've only ever seen a couple of them, but told him I'd put the word out.

If you happen to catch a Fox Snake in the next couple of days, you can reach Jim on his cell phone @ (517) 575-9247. He'll be at the fair through Friday morning.

DLW681
08-19-2010, 11:46 AM
Hi Chris i see the Eastern Fox Snake is on the threatened list for Michigan? Not sure what that means? Just didn't want anybody getting in trouble!

Let'em GO to GROW....DALE

formereskymo
08-21-2010, 10:50 AM
I used to get them at a camp we had, they were often on the road on the way in. Go up CR 426 towards Northland. A few miles after Cornell is the Woodlawn road. Its gravel, go along that road watching the sides. When you get to the Ford River get out and walk along the road and get down near the river. They often hang out on the rocks near the river in the sun.

Try any gravel road near Cornell that goes back towards the Ford River. Use a nice size 5-6 piece of wood. You would be amazed how strong a 6ft long Pine Snake can be. I have seen some that are more reddish and some that are more lighter tan, dont know if seperate species or not. We used to call the Red ones Fox Pines, and the lighter ones just Pines.

Good luck, wish the parents had a camera when I was twelve and I walked up to them carrying a 6ft Pine Snake. Of course that was way way before cell phones. Mom didnt appreciate the beauty of nature.