PDA

View Full Version : Storm rips thru New Post

walleyemaxx
08-09-2010, 08:27 AM
Hi everyone,

Here's another story in the Sawyer County Record of a powerfull storm that did damage to the village of New post, which is on the shores of the Chippewa Flowage.

Tornadic winds damage houses, fire station in New Post
Thunderstorm was accompanied by tornado warning
by Terrell Boettcher
News Editor
Published: Sunday, August 8, 2010 9:33 PM CDT
Several residences in the tribal village of New Post on the Chippewa Flowage and the New Post fire station sustained extensive damage from trees sheared off in a severe thunderstorm accompanied by a tornado warning around 10 p.m. Saturday Aug. 7. A large pine fell atop the fire station, punching a hole through the roof. A brush truck was damaged.

A white pine 2 feet in diameter fell across a mobile home owned by Becky Thyssen on Ziibins Trail, punching a hole in its side and roof. Thyssen and her son Michael Cooper were in the home at the time. Thyssen does not have insurance. “The power went out and shortly after that I heard a crash,” Thyssen said. Branches blocked one exiit door.

Thyssen said Bodie LaRush and Edward Martin cut up the fallen tree and cleaned it up Sunday morning. At the home of Richard and Mary Miller, several trees were sheared off in the yard, demolishing a shed and causing severe damage to two vehicles in the yard: a Dodge Ram pickup and a 2005 Pontiac car.

Many large trees fell across Highway CC west of New Post and blocked it. Large trees also were down in the New Post Cemetery. Two units owned by the LCO Housing Authority in the village received damage. There were also trees down at Big Musky Resort and Mobile Home Park nort of New Post

The severe thunderstorm with a tornado warning passed through Sawyer County in a southeasternly direction from Nelson Lake to Winter after 9 p.m. Approximately 4 inches of rain fell in the city of Hayward and there was minor flooding.

No reports of injuries. lets hope no one was injured.

Walleyemaxx

walleyemaxx
08-11-2010, 03:19 PM
Hi everyone,

A sad note here. A lineman from N.S.P. lost his life while working to help restore power to the area last Sunday morning. He was electrocuted. I think the news paper said he was from Raddison.

My condolences to his family.

Walleyemaxx