PDA

View Full Version : Lowrance Won't Load Lakemaster Map Data

Bones
08-07-2010, 05:32 PM
Has anyone had a problem with their Lowrance units loading maps from an MMC/SD Card? I have the Lakemaster card which I have been using for over two years. The Lowrance unit started to drop the Lakemaster map data while in use and I was having to turn the unit off and restart to get it to load again. This only happened every once in a while, but started to happen more frequently. Now I can barely get it to load at all. I updated the system software in the Lowrance unit, which went fine, but the unit is still not reading the card. Every now and then it will load, but the map goes blank after a couple of minutes. I have the LCX-28c HD.

Trying to figure out if this is relatively common and if there is a quick fix. Any help is appreciated.

Ty Sennett
08-08-2010, 09:07 AM
I'm guessing your card is failing. The same thing has happened to me. Most of the cards I use only last two years. I'm guessing the more times the system loads the card the less shelf life you have. make sure there is no corrosion on the conections of the card also. I did have one that just needed some cleanin'.

Bones
08-08-2010, 01:30 PM
Thanks Ty, it looks like you're right. Another card appears to be working. Will they replace the failed card, or do they expect you to buy a new one?

imgoingfishing
08-08-2010, 03:15 PM
If the Lakemaster card is black in color, this might be your problem. Believe it or not the card itself is thinner than the other Lakemaster cards available. My 2009 Lakemaster edition came on a black SD card and would not load on two of my lowrance graphs but would load on my lowrance H2O. The solution was to attach 2-3 layers of scotch tape on the back of the card to make the card thicker, now the card works on all three units. In your case, if it is the black card it may of worked at first but the connection was loose and now is not making the connection. Try the tape before tossing the card out.

Chops
08-08-2010, 08:36 PM
Waiting for my new HD 5 w/ the Lowrance Lake Insight....think I should get a Navioncs card for fishing the Chip, or is this one pretty good?
See yous last week of Aug !!
Greg

Bones
08-09-2010, 09:01 AM
The old card is thinner than the new one, so I added the tape to see if I could get it to work. Gradually added tape and tried it several times until the old card with the tape was actually thicker than the new one, but it still didn't work. What is odd, is that the old card works ok in my smaller bow mounted unit (even without the tape), but it won't work in the unit mounted on the console. The new card works fine in both.

Not sure what to make of all this, but it appears the console unit for whatever reason can't read the old, thinner, card, while the bow unit is fine with it. Seems to suggest it might not be the card.

Anyone know if they will swap out an old card for a new one?

Thanks for everyone's help.

By the way, on the Lakemaster card, when it works, it's great. Without the techinical problems I would definitely recommend it.

Ty Sennett
08-10-2010, 12:56 PM
Chops, the insight USA is not good enough to count on for navigation. You will still want another card.

Not sure about the exchange of old cards.