View Full Version : 7/24-7/31 report

Luke McGarry
08-03-2010, 12:55 PM
Marie and I got out on the SmokerCraft three times last week. We had a mixed bag, but sacked a few into the freezer. Several Shorties--no keepers, a couple really close Smallies, a few good sized white bass and a couple beauty Crappies. Toss in a 30 inch Northern and a few bite offs and the week was good. Not great, but ok. Actually, we got skunked on the third day (two hours).

I spent a lot of time this particular week working the Fingers. The south end produced most of the fish and I focused on the 5-8 foot range of the rise. For all the trolling we did elsewhere, we got one shortie. That's it. Minnows on jigs and self made spinner rigs all worked close to the bottom produced the best. White did better than other colors.

I'm wondering if the Eyes are spending their time in the weeds, which are shallow on CR. I sure am not catching much in deep water. The water is darker last week than normal and maybe they can see better shallower in the weeds. Plus, I would think most of the minnow hatch would be shallow and in weeds. Any thoughts???

Luke