PDA

View Full Version : Ford River Area is Smoking!

WalligatorGetter
08-01-2010, 02:15 PM
As the people who have been reading my reports already know, I haven’t been doing very well in my walleye fishing lately. However, the weather, wind, and water temps have finally been stable enough for a while to get the fish fired up in the areas I’ve been fishing.

A couple days ago I headed out of the Ford by myself and caught 12 walleyes between 21 and 25 inches, three big bass, and three sheepsheads. I started out trolling crawler harnesses on the first reef south of Round Island in 19-24 FOW. I ended up catching six walleyes, and the three sheepsheads, as well as a bunch of misses while doing this. Over those depths, I was running #5 and #6 Colorado blades behind in-line weights that ranged from ¾ - 1 ½ oz. Color didn’t seem to matter, and anywhere from 12 feet down to right on the bottom seemed to produce. The only thing that seemed crucial was that I got my speed less than 1.0 mph. Anything faster than that and I didn’t get bit. 0.8 was my target speed, and I had to drag a drift sock and troll with a bow-mount to achieve this speed.

After the sun started to get lower in the sky, I headed up to the very top of that reef to anchor and cast crankbaits. I only fished this way for about an hour, and in that time I boated six more walleyes and three bass that were 17, 18, and 20 inches. It was crazy. If I could take three casts without a fish of some kind it was a miracle.

After that kind of success I headed back out there again yesterday, this time with my dad and grandpa. We pretty much did all of the same stuff, and the fishing was even better! We started fishing at about 5:30 pm and had 15 nice walleyes and a couple sheepies by 9:00. We were pretty much using the same method as the day before: First reef south of Round Island, 19-24 FOW, Spinners and in-line weights. The best setup seemed to be a 1 ½ oz weight, 23 feet back from the board because the fish were close to the bottom.

The only letdown of the trip was that the shallow water evening bite wasn’t quite as good. We anchored in the same place and, in the hour that we where there, only caught two walleyes that were 22 and 26 inches, and two bass that were 15 and 18 inches between the three of us. Things sure can change from one day to the next! One thing I suspect is that, since it was a lot windier on the day that I caught all of those fish in that shallow water right before dark, they might have been feeding more aggressively. Yesterday the wind was nothing more than a breeze. Wind is a pain in the butt to fish in, but it does make the fish more aggressive. Anyway, we ended up catching 17 walleyes between 18 and 26 inches, two bass, and a couple of sheepies. What a fantastic day!

The fish are biting guys. Go get um!

walichop
08-02-2010, 04:59 PM
The only thing you left out waypoints,color of beads and blades and how long it took you to clean the fish!!!!!!!!Maybe if your going out again you can give me a call because I dont have a boat right now so maybe I can hook my canoe to the back of your boat and you can tow me out with you?????
One word to you UNBELIEVABLE...

WalligatorGetter
08-02-2010, 11:14 PM
Okay, I’m up to four PMs regarding this report, and three of them were about the same thing, so I am going to just reply to all of them right here because I’m sure others are thinking the same thing too.

The messages that I received nicely suggested that I might have given out too much info, and been too specific in this report. I did say “nicely;” there was no bashing or anything like that. They simply suggested things like, I will never have that spot to myself anymore. I will have trouble parking at the launch and will be crowded in my fishing spot. There never used to be anybody else fishing down there until people started posting on this site. If I want to keep catching fish like that without playing bumper boats I should just say how many fish I catch and not how or where. And that the spot is going to get fished out if I give it so much publicity.

Well, to reply to these comments, I would first like to say thanks for the heads up to all of you guys. However, I am well aware of what I am doing. The thing is, if I am going to post reports, I am going to be specific. There are two types of reports, those intended for sharing information that might help others to catch fish, and bragging. I don’t want to be a bragger. I simply here of all the people complaining that they cannot catch fish in this bay, and try my best to share the limited amount of helpful information that I have to offer with these people.

I love to fish almost as much as I love to eat, sleep, and breathe. I want fishing to be more than just a hobby for me, which means that I have to give back to it. I do not fish in tournaments. I do not write articles. I do not have kids to teach how to fish. And I am a college student, so I do not have money to donate. This is my way of giving back to this great sport, and if my spot gets crowded, it’s worth it.

Also, the Ford River area is huge. There are tons of fish down there, and tons of places to catch them. Versatility is the name of the game. I am not going to be the kind of angler that is totally out of luck if his one spot goes bad. I run all over heck down there, and catch fish in many different places. The way I see it, if all of the boats do get crowded up on the first reef south of Round Island that is great for them, and just fine by me. I’ll just go to one of the other countless structural elements down there that won’t have boats on it anymore because they are all on the other reef.;)

So, as I said, thanks for the heads ups, guys. Don’t get me wrong, I do appreciate it.

WalligatorGetter
08-02-2010, 11:29 PM
Also, I headed back out there tonight, and didn’t do quite so well. I’m not normally the kind of guy that likes to sit and pound one spot day after day, because when you do that and the spot goes bad you don’t have anywhere else to go. However, with the success I’ve been having I couldn’t resist doing it again. It wasn’t quite so good this time though.

I ended up fishing from 5:30-10:30, and in that time went 6/11 on fish. Notice I say “fish,” and not walleyes. I ended up catching four walleyes between 14 and 25 inches, a sheepshead, and a smallmouth. Some of the misses were walleyes, but some may not have been. I don’t know. I pretty much was doing the same stuff in the same locations, so if you want to know that info feel free to take a look at the first report. Stuff sure can change in a couple of days!

Also, thanks for the great reply, wallichop. As for towing you out there, if you simply put the kicker from your big boat on that canoe you will probably make it down there almost as fast as I can with the rig that I’m using. Don’t forget the clip-on rod holders!;)

Eyegetr
08-03-2010, 09:58 AM
Getter

Are you a member of the Great Lakes Sport Fishermen Club here in town? If not you should consider becoming a member. The meetings that are held are very informational in regards to the state of our fishery here in Big and LBDN. That would be the first step to giving back to the sport you seem to take so much from. Another thing you can try is some catch and release it works real well in the preservation of a fishery for the generations that will follow. Remember it takes more of a man to come in after a day of fishing and say I zeroed or I put them all back than it does to say I filled my livewell again. One other piece of advise is that the possession limit is ONE DAYS CATCH ( 5 FISH ). To clarify that means what you have in your possession at any given time. This includes your fridge or chest freezer. So the next time you post that you caught over 300 walleyes down south last year after dark you may want to think twice because there is a few DNRE officers who I know read this board.

Tite lines,

WalligatorGetter
08-03-2010, 10:57 AM
Thanks for that input, Eyegetr. However, I’m not quite sure where you are getting your information about me from. I don’t ever remember saying that I caught over 300 walleyes down south last year. My walleye count last year was 226 in totality. That is the entire bay, over an entire year. Also, just because I catch fish, doesn’t mean that I keep all of them either. I admit, I am a meat fisherman by up-bring. However, I have been releasing quite a few of the bigger fish lately with the exceptions of bleeding, or hurt fish. You’re right though. It is painful to pull into the dock, look at the other guy’s over flowing livewell, and say that I let the big one go. Anyway, I keep enough fish for me and my family to use, and a few for the relatives, but no more.

Also, thanks for mentioning BDNGLSF. That sounds like a good idea. Maybe I will join one of these days. That would also qualify me to enter their tournaments should I get the ambition sooner or later.

Also, based on the mad face, it looks like you are another person that thinks I put too much detail into that report. I’m sorry about that. Maybe I should just slow down with the posting a little bit. I thought I was helping the cause of this website, but I guess I was wrong. There are too many mixed opinions on here. The people who post reports saying how many fish they catch and nothing more get jumped on for bragging and posting vague reports. And the people who post detailed reports get jumped on for over-exploitation of prime fishing waters. It kind of makes a guy confused. I think I just figured out why some of the threads have hundreds of views, but very few replies.

My apologies.

CrankYanker
08-03-2010, 11:17 AM
I love reading your posts! I get excited to hear fish stories no matter what! The spots you speak are no secret anyway..... PLUS its not like your throwing gill nets if you catch my drift. Every fish you catch is because it wanted to eat what you had to offer.
Thanks for your posts and keep up the good work!

YooperTroll
08-03-2010, 12:36 PM
walli:

Keep the reports coming! You're one of the CHOSEN FEW who will actually post SOMETHING of substance on this forum.

For the record, I won't be going out to your spot. For one, I don't have a boat that will do that.

We're not talking some little farm pond, folks, that can get fished out in couple of days. We're talking about the big lake. Folks need to take a chill pill.

Good work, Walli.

Seriously, why does this forum even exist if not to do what you're doing? I sure don't want to see it become like Michigan Sportsmen. Cripes, I posted a reply in a river thread there one time just pointing out where the public access points were on the river (trying to help a guy out)--nothing else-- and the mods deleted it.

RudyG
08-03-2010, 03:49 PM
And people wonder why so few people post on here....:mad: ... sorry .. but it isnt worth the BS!

Thanks for your posts

mecosmo
08-03-2010, 03:53 PM
WalligatorGetter, Keep it up, you are doing what this and all sites like this were intended to do! You are helping your fellow fisherman out, and that makes you a stand up kinda guy in my book! and that's not always the most popular thing to do either, so kudos to ya!!!

Fastcat
08-03-2010, 06:41 PM
The spots down there are no secret, everyone knows that. How you approach them can be. But misunderstandings happen if you do not use the CP&R words when posting, I am with EyeGetr on this it sounds by your posts you keep everything. I caught 5 fish from 21.5-28.5 down there Saturday in 4 passes from 2-4pm Sun high in the sky no clouds, little wind, threw them all back because I was just testing out some lure I painted up and a particular spot, Saturday I think I could have threw Walligetter on the end of my pole and caught fish :) Sometimes that area of the Ford is too easy, and those are the times they can be over fished. We must all take care of "OUR" resource, because as we found out our state cannot help us with this matter.

Buckslayer
08-03-2010, 06:43 PM
QUOTE "I’m not normally the kind of guy that likes to sit and pound one spot day after day, because when you do that and the spot goes bad you don’t have anywhere else to go."

When you give exact locations and "Help" other fisherman out "your spot" will get POUNDED every day and night. There are alot of people that read this forum and I do beleive "your spot" will go bad.

YooperTroll
08-03-2010, 07:51 PM
And people wonder why so few people post on here....:mad: ... sorry .. but it isnt worth the BS!

Thanks for your posts

In re-reading his initial post, I saw no gps coordinates or anything that should be controversial. We also have to remember that a good number of our friends in this area rely on people coming to this area to fish. Frankly, if Walli's story helps some folks make a trip and spend some dough at Chris's bait shop or some of the local hotels and restaurants, that's cool by me.

Hell, the weekly DNR report (useless) said "no one is targeting walleye right now" here. At least we know SOMEONE is targeting them and doing well. Hopefully that helps a few folks make a trip and want to spend some money in our area.

Precious few people give reports like this...we should be encouraging it, not discouraging it.

The only time I won't report is if I go out with someone on his boat to his spot...then it's not my place to report. If I go out and do anything, I try to update here within reason.

jerkbait
08-03-2010, 11:05 PM
People that wanna cry about fishing after dark and fishing a spot day after day. As long as he paid his license fee Im pretty sure he should be able to fish where, when, and tell anyone he wants about his success. This area or spot we speak of is no secret to anybody who fishes little bay. Fricken people need to relax. Go out and catch some fish eat em mount em do what ever your little heart desires. It wont be long till the carp will be the only thing in your boats so enjoy some great fishing.

Thanks for the posts and dont let idiots bully people on here thats b.s.

good luck
Jerkbait

DooFighter
08-04-2010, 06:21 AM
x2. The locals here who think they own the lake are ridiculous. Keep fishing and keep sharing if you want to.

walli:

Keep the reports coming! You're one of the CHOSEN FEW who will actually post SOMETHING of substance on this forum.

For the record, I won't be going out to your spot. For one, I don't have a boat that will do that.

We're not talking some little farm pond, folks, that can get fished out in couple of days. We're talking about the big lake. Folks need to take a chill pill.

Good work, Walli.

Seriously, why does this forum even exist if not to do what you're doing? I sure don't want to see it become like Michigan Sportsmen. Cripes, I posted a reply in a river thread there one time just pointing out where the public access points were on the river (trying to help a guy out)--nothing else-- and the mods deleted it.

DooFighter
08-04-2010, 06:25 AM
So now you're a CO? And you never have more than 1 day's limit in your freezer?

Getter

Are you a member of the Great Lakes Sport Fishermen Club here in town? If not you should consider becoming a member. The meetings that are held are very informational in regards to the state of our fishery here in Big and LBDN. That would be the first step to giving back to the sport you seem to take so much from. Another thing you can try is some catch and release it works real well in the preservation of a fishery for the generations that will follow. Remember it takes more of a man to come in after a day of fishing and say I zeroed or I put them all back than it does to say I filled my livewell again. One other piece of advise is that the possession limit is ONE DAYS CATCH ( 5 FISH ). To clarify that means what you have in your possession at any given time. This includes your fridge or chest freezer. So the next time you post that you caught over 300 walleyes down south last year after dark you may want to think twice because there is a few DNRE officers who I know read this board.

Tite lines,

RudyG
08-04-2010, 06:42 AM
"As long as he paid his license fee Im pretty sure he should be able to fish where, when, and tell anyone he wants about his success. "

You said it Dave.. I already have laws to follow.. the State tells me what, where and when to fish and how many I can eat... I dont need the "Pro's" on here telling me otherwise. And if you want to release all your fish.. attaboy... if you eat what you catch.. bonapitite!!!!

What... another tournament coming up???

If I buy a license like everyone else.. I have the right to follow the given laws and enjoy myself without worrying about what you think. If you wish to tell all and everyone where you got 'em.. good for you. I used to.. but found the same people that laugh about me posting or complaining about it via PM, and never posting themselves, fishing that very spot the very next day. Oh.. I'm sure they planned on going there anyway.

I may start posting again when the "Sportsmen" who think its wrong are deleted from this site!

BloodyNose
08-04-2010, 08:56 AM
I thank the people who put detailed posts on this site. Living in Marquette makes it harder to get down there on a regular basis and if I am hearing the fishing is poor usually keeps me from making the trip. When the reports are good and I do well down there, I thank those who give information. What the people who whine don't realize is that on any given trip I make the minimum.

1. Rapid River gas station - gas, snacks, drinks
2. Bay View Bait & Tackle - bait and at least $20 of stuff I don't need or will ever use yet I love buying.
3. Local restaurant - Usually Arby's since Marquette doesn't have one and I'm addicted to the curly fries.
4. Launch fees
5. Sometimes a beer at Swallow Inn or Kipling Bar on the way back. ONE beer.

This adds up and goes into your community. Two years ago I went fishing and ended up with a new bedroom set and family room furniture from Ashley Furniture. Keep up the GOOD reports. I am thankful that Chris provides ACCURATE reports and not some BS intended to draw customers

acesario
08-04-2010, 10:02 AM
I too appreciate your posts not only for the general location, but also for how you are catching them. This does not make me go out and hammer your spots day after day. I've been hearing about the great walleye fishing down there for years, and have actually gotten down there exactly 3 times to fish.

I didnt hear anything that said you were keeping all these fish, I assume you are releasing a portion of your catch and just enjoying the sport of it.

Also, the statement that you cant have more than one days catch packaged and in your freezer at home, or in cleaned and packaged in your cooler for that matter is FALSE. The possession limit is for a days catch. If you have 6 fish on your boat (unprocessed) you are in violation. If you have 10 in the cooler and 5 on the boat from a weekend trip you are perfectly legal. If you have 15 fish, or 100 for that matter in your freezer, you are legal.
I confirmed my understanding of this with the Marquette DNR field office.

formereskymo
08-04-2010, 10:36 AM
Thanks for the reports, I also want to echo what Bloodynose said. I live in Appleton and have access to a cottage on Stoneington. If I see a bunch of reports of not good fishing I would tend not to come up, on the other hand if I see good reports I may come up. I typically stop at the following locations and drop at least a $100 each trip.

Sometimes I have friends that end up going back up with others. Word of mouth is the best advertisement you can get.

1. Elmers - for food and beer
2. Carnes Gas Station - worked there summers of 84,85, and 86
3. Jose Toco or Muellers - Have to have the old greasy food
4. Chris's bait store - bait, couple harnesses and a THANK YOU for his reports
5. Buck Inn - Buck burger, fries, and beer

These are all well established "local" business that have been there for a long time and deserve the business. Not that I will make or break them, but there are many many more out there just like me.

Eyegetr
08-04-2010, 11:46 AM
If you actually read my post you would see that the point I was trying to make involves ethics and preservation of a resource that is very near and dear to me and alot of other folks in this area. I am a life long resident of this area and in no way shape or form do I want to see our economy suffer but remember all those businesses that were mentioned will suffer without this fishery. And with what has happened over the past 10 years with the illegal netting and lack of stocking we need to be a little more responsible when we are out there harvesting. Never once did I mention a word about Getter's posts in regards to where ,how and when. If he wants to post that info, that is up to him. I guess if you can eat 200 to 300 walleye a year so be it. So in closing. If I upset you by asking you to preserve this fishery for the generations to follow than that I will not apoligize for. And last but not least the possession limit of 5 at any given time was confirmed by the Escanaba office.

Fish where you want just practice ethics!

The Bait Shop Guy
08-04-2010, 12:14 PM
It's pretty sad when someone gets bashed for posting good, honest fishing information on the "Bays de Noc Fishing reports" page, which is part of "Fishinfo.com" If the haters don't want to read good info, then why are they on this site? If we followed their examples, then there would be NO reports at all.

Keep up the reports Walligatorgetter, and feel free to include as much information as you want. For every hater, there are literally hundreds of people who enjoy reading the reports you and others post on here, ( I think some of the reply's are starting to prove that.) It's not just locals, or people from out-of-state. Case in point - a few weeks ago, Diane and I finished an evening of walleye fishing on the Escanaba River. While I was squaring up the boat on the trailer, the guy that had pulled up to the dock next to me asks "Are you Chris?" I say "Yes." He walks over and starts shaking my hand and says "You don't know me, but I sure know you." Turns out the guy was originally from the U.P., (Curtis area I believe,) but has been in the Army for the last decade or so, and had just finished a year long deployment to Iraq. He thanked me repeatedly for all the reports myself and others had posted on this site. First thing he did every morning when he had a chance was to go online, and read them to remind him of home, and make his day go a little easier. He and his family were on their first real vacation in 10 years, and came to fish the bays, in part, due to reading the reports on this site. I have to say, when I got back to the truck and told Diane what had just happened, I got a little choked up. Thank you Sgt. Tatrow (sp?) for helping to remind me that there's much more to "fishing" than just the "catching."

Lastly, people have asked that this thread be closed. Everyone has gotten their .02 in, so I will do so.

Lets get back to the fishing reports website that this is meant to be.