PDA

View Full Version : walleye fishing off of esky harbor

Andy66
07-31-2010, 10:18 AM
I know we're in the dog days of summer but I have a general question about ice fishing. Does anyone ice fish walleyes just south of Esky Harbor? I'm guessing the ice isn't always too great out there depending on the year.

Andy66
08-03-2010, 12:33 PM
400 views and not one reply?

YooperTroll
08-03-2010, 12:46 PM
I'm not as knowledgable as most when it comes to ice fishing the bay, but I think the issue is the ice. Last year, for example, there wasn't good ice there but late and only for a short time (if I remember right). I know some folks like to target whitefish late in the season off the harbor mouth there (ice conditions permitting). I also saw a number of people hit the bay off of Ludington Park with their 4-wheelers and go straight out (pretty far) from there last year. Again, they're braver than I am.

In short, the fishing is good there (I think)--if you can be assured of safe ice.

CrankYanker
08-03-2010, 04:49 PM
The Troll is right.
If you look at say the Jug bordoue (sp) ice fishing tournament, Easily over half of the fish that place are from south of esky. Including last years winning 13+lbr (so I hear anyway)
Ice forms much later there than the upper bay and is much less stable to boot. wind has a major say in what happens out there, were as in the upper bay you don't have to worry much about 20 mph wind, but out there it must be in your mind. I try to get out there a few times every year. Numbers of fish are not there but the potential for a hanger definetly is (I have an 11lb on the wall from there) Just watch the flow of traffic and you'll see roughly where you need to be.

Andy66
08-03-2010, 04:55 PM
Thank you both for your responses. I have never fished that far South. I live an hour away in Iron Mountain, closer to the harbor than Kipling.

CrankYanker
08-03-2010, 09:34 PM
If your limited to foot travel a good place to try is just west of the lighthouse. Theres a massive drop off from 3' to 50 something. Just find the 30' spot and set up shop. Some nights can be productive out there, always set up tipups. If you have a quad or sled head south from the bandshell. But as I said before follow traffic. I always say I won't go first but I will go second!