PDA

View Full Version : Mine Pond report

YooperTroll
07-29-2010, 09:28 AM
Took the boy out to Groveland Mine Ponds yesterday...fished the first pond via boat...hundreds (no exaggeration) of those 5-6 bluegills...kept a few bigger ones, a couple of nice perch, and nice largemouth (we also caught a ton of bass in the 10-12 inch range). The boy lost a nice muskie--never had a chance on the panfish rig ;)

You've got to sort through the fish you catch there...but it's a great place to take the kids.

WalligatorGetter
07-29-2010, 10:24 AM
Would you mind sharing with me which of the ponds the encounter with the nice muskie was in? I’ve been looking for a place to get into some nice muskies that isn’t too far from home, but the options are few. I’ve been to McKeever Lake, but the muskies there are smaller than the pike that I can stay around here and catch. I’ve also been to neighboring Grassy Lake, but never even saw a muskie there.

As always, thanks for the report. I enjoy reading them.

YooperTroll
07-29-2010, 10:42 AM
Walli:

It was the first pond in the cluster of three...I think the DNR refers to it as "Island Pond"...it's the one with the fishing platform...we were due north within site of the fishing platform when he hooked it.

All of that in there, though, looks like great habitat for muskie. Certainly a lot of feed in there for them!