PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Report July 19-23

Tom Forman
07-25-2010, 04:56 PM
Chas,

It was great to see you on the water earlier in the week. I had a decent week of musky fishing catching a 35 and 37 muskies. The 35" fish took the bucktail on the second figure 8 at the boat. I also managed a few follows but no takers. The downside of the trip was Thursday morning at 9:45 when I set the hooks on a fish that was well into the upper 40s maybe bigger. I lost the fish when I had 1/2 the fish in the net when the hooks caught the net and she slashed and I watched her slip out. I was just sick and never seen a fish of that caliber in that lake. Ever since, I can't get that image out of my head. I fish alone and its very difficult to fight a fish in one hand and use an 8 foot musky net in the other....She is out there and I hope to see her again someday. Take care and hope to see you again on the water!!

Tom

Chas Martin
07-29-2010, 08:42 AM
Tom,

Those are some great muskies and pictures! Congratulations! It was great seeing you on the water too. I told the guys in my boat that evening as we fished toward you that I thought I recognized your boat from some previous pictures.

There is almost nothing worse than losing a musky the way you described... I also fish by myself a lot and it is very difficult to work a heavy net into the water and to also keep good tension on a fish, especially if she is a big one. Add wind and difficult boat control into the situation and it is even more difficult. And how about netting one at night by yourself!!! It is very challenging to say the least. I can still remember losing one on the chain a few years back and I could smell the musky slime in the net!!!!!!!!! I hooked her on a single hook spinner and I even had a gallery of people watching from their camp fire cheering me on... the image is stuck in my head.

Tom Forman
07-29-2010, 08:59 AM
Chas,

Yes, netting those big fish alone is definitely a challenge and a two man job. Sorry to hear you lost one in the similar fashion as I did. You never forget it and that picture will always be painted in my head!! I will be up north again the weekend of August 20, 21, and 22..If you don't have any clients and don't feel like fishing alone give me a shout and we can help each other net the big skies...:) Take care and be safe on the water!!