PDA

View Full Version : report 7/24

Steve Herbeck
07-25-2010, 01:38 PM
so far it's been a good season,full with great guests,lots of fun,and good catches.
surface water temps 73-75,thermocline at 20-24'.
overall weather has been nice avg temps in the high 70's-80's.
timely rains to keep fire bans off and lake levels up but not enough to stop many days of fishing nor typically followed by major cold fronts to shut the bite off.
walleye bite has remained very much the same and consistant throughout since end of june with common depth of 18-28' but on some bars/days fish up higher. main lake humps and bars best. lindy rigs,floro line,big chubs best.no problems getting plenty of eaters 15-17" with lots of slot fish 19-23" and 26-28" caught daily and some 30"+ fish caught weekly.
days without wind are finding fish spooky and finicky even though you will mark fish 2-4' deep in big schools,catch 5-6,lose a fish or 2 or pike move in and they scatter. move around the bar or move to another,find em' and start over. windy days are rock'n.
the suspended pm bite is on and hot especially following sunny mild wind days.run shallow cranks in green/silver,blue/silver/black/silver 100' back 5-10' down over 50-90' of water off boards. look for baitfish balls on your locator,ciscos flipping on the surface, and sea gulls sitting on the surface or flying up and picking off the surface waiting for the ciscos to come up as key locations. you will not mark the fish you will catch,they are up to shallow. most fish are 21-28" though some 30" and + caught last week.
there is also a pm movement up to weed flat edges with good breaks into deeper water at 14-18' on jigs. fly-ins have been excellent with many 200+fish days with some big pike mixed in,watch for woods and waters tv show with gillespie next week for what it can be like as day 2 of his trip will be aired on a fly-in with danny.some awesome footage.danny catches 2 27" fish on one line at the same time.
the 4wds have remained very consistant with numbers of good avg sized fish 19-26" and walleye/musky combos days with fish up to and pushing over 50".
no one really fishing bass except on a few 4wd trips that have been consistant with 75+ fish days 16-18"ers,got a new lake we been fishing with great bass,big walleyes actually some of the fattest,heaviest fish we've ever seen and 40"+ pike available though no has fished specifically for them since sight fishing them in late May/early june.
most pike on eagle are now out of the weeds except for hammerhandles and the occasional lost big one caught casting musky in heavy weeds or over deep rock bars, most decent pike with the walleyes in main basins on humps and or suspended . try lindy rigs with 20# floro leaders,#1 hooks,and suckers 6-8" long on the humps at 24-35' and trolling bigger deep divers 24-40' over basins and baitfish schools for bigger fish.
lakers are now all concentrated in deepest main basins at 70-100'. we fished them thurs and fri for 1/2 days and caught 18 fish with 3 that were 31-36" 18-20# with most 5-14# trolling spoons 55-65' down. with water temps now spiking we are going to hold off fishing for them on eagle till water temps drop as releasing the bigger fish was difficult and obviously stressful. we recomend spending time on clearwater or buzzard if you are going to fish trout where most fish are eating sized fish 2-6# untill then.
muskys have been good with fish both in weeds and rocks are now lighting up with big fish also. mostly blades from 8-10's,topwaters,jerkbaits,and ripping some cranks over the rocks. been awhile since i posted a report but we've been avg 4-8 50" fish a week with lots of 42-49" fish.
last week rob and i had 6 fish filming a couple days with brad and redfinn outdoors,cessnas had a 51.5 and a 50.5,harters 2 51.5,,bro brent a 49",jeff a 48.5,numerous 42-47" boated and as always more big fish are on and off, lost than boated as most action has been at boatside so your boatside manuervers are critical and should not be over looked and cannot be over emphasized,it's the diff. between those that go home year after year with multiple big fish catches and those that don't.
with aug and sept/oct some the best big fish action is on it's way.
will get a bunch of pics for all species posted up soon.
just got an opening for aug 21-28 became available for 2-10 guests (book this with 6 or more and recieve a free guide date)which is prime time and we still got some scattered openings for sept 4-oct 16.
come on up and join us!!!

DanR
07-25-2010, 08:20 PM
I started getting my stuff together. Did some bait maintenance, and strung up my rods.

Getting ready my friend. Cannot wait. Thanks for the report.

See ya soon, but as always...not soon enough. :)

-Dan

asingua
07-26-2010, 04:08 PM
Thanks for the report Steve...can't wait 'til Sunday! Sounds like some great action...I hope to have some "slime time" next week!

Rondogpike
08-02-2010, 07:12 AM
Watched Danny and John Gillespie on the fly-in lake (#1). Awesome footage!

danimalw
08-22-2010, 05:22 PM
Steve,

When you talk about the suspended walleye bites, I am curious, do you find these fish chasing ciscoes in the deeper parts of Vermilion Bay/West Arm, or do you find this is more common in Portage Bay / Main Basin (Viking Reef area)? Just curious for future reference. Can't wait to come back to your place, although it will probably be a couple more years due to some upcoming big expenses... Probably will see ya at the Milwaukee Musky show come winter. Finish up strong the rest of the year!