PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Lake of the Woods

pgutmann
07-24-2010, 12:26 PM
Well, just returned from my annual trip to LOTW. Fishing this year was to say the least OUTSTANDING. Ended up boating 30 Muskies; numerous Pike, SM Bass and Walleyes. Most of my muskies were taken on surface lures (Top Raider was king) and Mepps Musky Marabou's. The fish really showed little interest in the double 8's and 10's. Water temps ranged from the high 60's to the low 70's; little algae bloom in areas; clarity was good. Weather was great (Sunny/Partly Cloudy with highs in the mid 70's) other than the 2 storms that was encountered (rained 5 inches one day and the other storm produced high winds/rains but was overnight). Only had 1 day which I did not boat a muskie. Average length for the trip was just shy of 40.5". My biggest muskie was a 51" taken on a Top Raider from a mid lake reef complex.

Many thanks to Jessica and Dave at Angle Outpost Resort for your hospitality and to my very good friend Ed Spoerl for sharing his cabin. Congrats also to Ed for his 52.5" muskie caught when we had the chance to share a boat together. Gets a little boring fishing alone at times.

I have posted my actual 2010 LOTW catch report within the "Muskie Tips" section of my website for all to review.

pgutmann
07-28-2010, 07:59 AM
Here are some additional photos's from my trip to LOTW in 2010. My buddy Ed S. 52.5" taken on a Topraider and my 47" taken around 10:15 PM on a Topraider

pgutmann
07-28-2010, 08:02 AM
Here is my 48" taken on a Topraider when I got the chance to spend the day fishing with Angle Outpost Owner Dave Fandrich. We had a great time that day laughing, telling stories and catching muskies. We ended the day with 5 muskies in the boat (32, 33, 39, 43, & 48).

Ryan1015
08-08-2010, 04:37 PM
Very nice!

ToddM
08-08-2010, 05:54 PM
Phil you guys always seem to have it dialed in when your group goes up, thanks for putting this trip together, it's one of the top things our club looks forward to.

pgutmann
08-09-2010, 11:52 AM
Thanks Todd and Ryan!
After spending many years up there on LOTW, the patterns do change from year to year and you must adapt. Keeping records, charting my catches and watching the lake levels and water temps during June/July are the biggest keys to my success on this fabulous fishery. Some years it is numbers of fish with some size and other years it is low numbers but with size. This year for me was the average size I was catching (avg. 40.5" over 30 muskies). Numbers are great but I only go to Canada and LOTW for 1 reason and that is "SIZE". I keep telling club members that if you fish certain areas and structures, you are going to increase your chances at catching bigger fish. Some people listen but most do not when I tell them this. Yes, some people get lucky and catch a big fish. But do it on a consistant basis, year in and year out is a much different story.
I saw it again this year during the club outing as my good friends Dan and Ken caughts the numbers but lacked the size overall; Steve and I caught a good number of fish but a majority of these were bigger than 40" during the club outing. This came down to the areas and structures being fished.
With a strong year class of fish on LOTW in the 42-47"; it will be amazing what the next 3-5 years brings!

Ryan1015
08-15-2010, 11:58 AM
Sounds like you have it pretty much dialed in! One of years I'll finally make it up to LOW. Hopefully sooner than later!

pgutmann
08-19-2010, 08:50 PM
I guarantee once you go to Canada or even LOTW; there is no substitute for the raw beauty of nature and the awesome fishing this country has to offer us folks here in the USA. Fishing in IL then becomes boring especially during July.

Can I deal with the border issues; ABSOLUTELY! Keep yourself clean of issues and you should never have any problems.