PDA

View Full Version : need some help for salmon fishing rod set up

propman
07-24-2010, 05:55 AM
Setting up a boat for salmon fishing, got four older penn reels #109,going to set them up for down riggers ,what LB. line should i use and how much,also how much leader should i put on them and what LB. Now for RODS What size and what action would be an all around rod for all type of salmon fishing I don't what to spend a lot of money, maybe someone has some used rods for sale, give me some ideas ,,,Thanks propman

DooFighter
07-24-2010, 08:25 AM
20# is pretty all purpose. Make up at least one SWR for your riggers,2 color is fine. Uglystick makes a 7' one piece BWD rod that's real nice. Less expensive is heartland/daiwa 7.5' 2pc Med, excellent rigger rod.

GullyWhoMper
07-24-2010, 08:35 AM
How much do those two rods usually run in price? I'm heading monday to pick up some riggers and now am looking for some poles also like propman don't want to spend a ton. thanks- Corey

Jess
07-24-2010, 08:38 AM
Shimano TDR are good rigger rods too. Dunhams in Esky has them for about $20 apeice. Second the SWR especially this year fish are spooky and down deep.

DooFighter
07-24-2010, 10:18 AM
The heartlands in Frank's great outdoors catalog are $27. I believe my catalog is last years, though. Model #HL-D762MLS-G. They call it a planer rod, which is how I found them, use them for pulling cranks on boards also.

I believe the ugly sticks are around $50

walleyemick
07-24-2010, 11:31 AM
when it comes to downrigger rods you can really spend as much as you want. I have bought rods that work just fine for $25 and some that are more sensitive and can really be cranked down on the ball for upwards of $100. All depends on what you want, as someone else stated 20# will catch anything you want. I usually use berkly big game 20#, you can get a spool of 3000 yard for around $30 i believe, but there are alot lines that are good. I wouldn't recommend any less than 300 yards per reel. i have atleast 1000" on all my reels. Seems like overkill but when you think of the # of times you retie or get a tangle and have to cut some in a year its good to have plenty. Plus the extra few $ you spend on a few hundred more feet is well worth it when you get a 20# screamer on and he doesn't want to stop. We got a fresh 12 pounder this morning that had 550' out before my cousin was able to get him turned around, and thats not a real big fish