PDA

View Full Version : Cedar river

JPMAGS
07-20-2010, 05:12 PM
Planing on head to the Cedar river and was wondering of any up coming tournaments? Also if there are any nets currently at Whales back? Fish?
Thanks

crazyeyes
07-20-2010, 05:54 PM
M and M glsf tourney is on the 24th and 25th

I haven't been to Cedar River recently. Went to Fairport yesterday a.m. and skunked out. Fishing was slow all around from people I talked to there, coming in with 0 or 1 fish. Hopefully things have picked up.

http://www.great-lakes.org/lk_tourn.html

ghostrider
07-20-2010, 07:21 PM
I have not been to WB but a guy going out yesterday when we were said there are nets south of waleback and to be careful. We fished S of green can out in 60 feet. Went 5 for 5. Used hoochie & squid, smart fish and dark seaweed fly, and savant super glow magnums, and blue dolphin mag. Fish on all except dipsey's. Lots of fish, but lots of bait too! Remember to vote in Nov or pretty soon there will be no vote!!!!

rambler
07-20-2010, 08:20 PM
Where is the Green Can you talk about? I think I will try Cedar R. tomorrow night.

s_h_bogeyman
07-20-2010, 08:48 PM
The green can is about 1 mile straight out from Cedar River. You really can't miss it.

rambler
07-20-2010, 09:36 PM
Thanks, with the westerly winds today and tomorrow I am hoping there will be some fish there.

GullyWhoMper
07-21-2010, 08:26 AM
I have a 15 foot boat is that big enough to take out there or is that pushing it? decent sides on it and it can take some waves just not huge?

Big"D"
07-21-2010, 08:35 PM
I've got a 17.5' fiberglass v hull and i won't go out there unless wind is less than 10 mph. careful!

The Bait Shop Guy
07-21-2010, 11:12 PM
I fish from a 16 footer, with no problems - you just have to pick and choose your days.

I just got back from Cedar River. We fished off the mouth with the majority of the boats. Water has warmed up and the bite was tuff. We got one shaker and one about 5 pounds. Both on Moonshine Emminators. There was one boat fishing off Deadman's Point to the north, that was on good bait and "bitey" fish. When we stopped to clean our fish in Escanaba, we talked to another group that fished up that way that did well, too. There were also several guys cleaning fish that were out south of the Ford River Can that did very well. I had wanted to fish down that way tonight, but the wind forecast for Cedar River looked much better than Escanaba's - pick and choose your days.

rambler
07-22-2010, 08:06 AM
Got out alone last night for my first trip out of Cedar R. fished just a mile or two out from the Harbor entrance. A shaker, 6, 9, and 10 pounds.
A beautiful night.

GullyWhoMper
07-22-2010, 11:34 AM
Thanks for the info, never been out there and just wanna know before making the trip there.

s_h_bogeyman
07-22-2010, 01:02 PM
Just remember and don't go too far over on the right side on your way out of the channel. There's a nasty snag on that side and it's not very far under the surface. I think it's the remainder of the old timber pier. I've seen sailboats hit it.

WalligatorGetter
07-22-2010, 01:04 PM
I am using a 16 foot boat with a 40 hp tiller motor, and I have no problem fishing out on the main part of the Green Bay. I can often be found more than 10 miles from where I launch. I do try to “choose my days” like some other people have said, but that is simply because it is difficult to fish with any precision in 6 foot rollers. There is no risk of sinking in 6 foot rollers though. If anything, I think that boat will handle bigger waves than a 19 or 20 foot fiberglass. Those little tin cans are so buoyant that they just go up and down in rollers, whereas big boats come off the top of one and jab their bow into the next one. It just gets a little bit creepy when you’re in a little boat and you go between two waves and can’t see over the top of the next one.

jtourangeau
07-25-2010, 08:01 AM
[QUOTE=WalligatorGetter;58135]'' There is no risk of sinking in 6 foot rollers though. ''