PDA

View Full Version : Still Slow at the Ford

WalligatorGetter
07-19-2010, 12:01 PM
Well, the walleye fishing in the Ford River area hasn’t improved any for me over the last couple weeks. It is still very slow. The one thing that I have noticed is that the shallow water seems to out produce the deeper water most of the time, even when the water is calm and clear with the sun overhead. On these days I usually opt to troll spinners in deeper water, but lately I haven’t been catching anything doing that so I go in by shore in 8-10 FOW instead. The action in there isn’t fast either, but I usually catch something before the sun goes down anyway. The only bad part about the shallow water is that the average size of the fish goes down considerably. The typical evening seems to be, catch one fish in the daylight and a couple as soon as it gets dark. After that I usually just go home because I haven’t been catching anything after that when I do stay later.

One thing that I notice about the deeper water is that I haven’t been marking the clouds of alewives that I was a little while back. I don’t have Side-Imaging or anything like that, so I am usually not able to mark the walleyes themselves. Instead, I use the forage fish to determine whether an area is worth fishing effort or not. I suppose the walleyes have followed the alewives wherever they went, maybe deeper water yet? I imagine if I could find the alewives again the walleyes would be there too. Looks like some running around might be in order.

GullyWhoMper
07-20-2010, 10:16 AM
We were out there for a while yesterday just tinkering around and marked alot of fish it seemed in 18-25fow but no takers. I havent tried shallow yet but who knows, everything seems to be slow right now