PDA

View Full Version : Whitefish River

BloodyNose
07-15-2010, 02:39 PM
I'm looking at some property about 2 miles upstream from the US2 bridge. Does anybody know what kind of fishing is up there? I'm guessing some pike, bass, cats, carp, etc. Any info would be great.

YooperTroll
07-15-2010, 07:15 PM
Chuck Basset at the Hiawatha National Forest Office in Escanaba has always been pretty informative to me about area fishing...that's probably close enough to his gig for him to give you some clear direction.

I'm guessing you're correct about the type of fish.

Big"D"
07-16-2010, 07:54 PM
Brook Trout-Good to Excellent; rainbow trout and smallmouth bass-fair to good. Recent Master angler catches: brook trout-2.44 obs. (4-27-91) and 2.37lbs (6-18-91)

From your description you will be located between two key cold-water tributaries (Chippeney and Bill's Creek) that attract spawning trout and have resident trout populations of their own. Main Stream fish freely migrate to these feeder streams during the extreme heat of August and a few over winter.

Just a little further up from where you will be Haymeadow Creek which offers fair fishing for steelhead and brook trout with the DNR stocking 750 brook trout yearlings annually.

There is a fairly reliable run of steelhead and chinook salmon as well as occasional brown trout and coaster brook trout. Splake have been known to ascend the river from the bay too, along with walleye and small and large mouth bass. The river hosts a white bass run in June, and a good place to catch them is just north of US-2.

There are some other species available including pike but their numbers are negligible.