PDA

View Full Version : Leaders

Brian777
07-15-2010, 10:10 AM
Ty,

Can you make a recommendation for a type and brand of leader to use? I have a Pacemaker that is not running like it used to and I suspect it is off balance because I am using flourocarbon. Any suggestions?

Thanks for making some great baits.

andracke
07-15-2010, 10:18 AM
I make my own leaders out of 175# tooth tammer single strand wire. They work great and I have not had any probelms. I make them about 12" or so with no swivel.

Snizz
07-15-2010, 10:37 AM
What andracke said, single wire, swivels are the devil...

http://www.smokingtree.net/images/waterboy3.jpg

Brian777
07-15-2010, 11:38 AM
Why are swivels the devil?

Snizz
07-15-2010, 12:38 PM
Well at least for top-water baits that spin...but I tend to cut all of the swivels off all of my leaders...one less part/piece to worry about failing or not working properly...

Swivels are great if you use the helicopter lure ;)

http://tink3rbel1.com/webdemos/eBiz/images/lure.jpg

BTW...I have caught big friggin bass on those too down in FL...

Mulley
07-15-2010, 11:31 PM
So you don't use swivels even on bucktails?

Ty Sennett
07-17-2010, 10:19 AM
I don't use swivels on any leaders at all. I have had perch pecking at my swivels years ago and if perch can see them so can muskies. How many time have you heard of guys fishing with little jigs and catching muskies? They see small stuff just as much as they see the little things.

If you use a flourocarbon leader cut off the swivel just above the ring that attaches to the flouro. In other words leave the bottom ring of your ball bearing swivel to attach your line to. If you direct tie your line to the flourocarbon it will in time cut through the flourocarbon. That's why you leave the little metal ring on the leader.

For the Chippewa Flowage where the water is stained, a single strand wire leader is just fine. On this you don't even need the little metal ring of the swivel. Just direct tie right to the wire.

Here is the trick for your bucktails if they spin. Take and bend the wire of the bucktail just below the eye where you connect your leader snap. Bend it at a 45 degree angle. That will eliminate any line twist from bucktails rotations. It will make the bucktail run true.

RobertTB
07-17-2010, 12:08 PM
Ok, so I got to thinking. I know it's bad ( me thinking ) but bear with me.
We know line twist is a nightmare with spinning equipment, so we drag the line out behind the boat to eliminate the twist. Easy enough.

Now, with casting equipment, does line twist really foul things up since the line is basically coming straight into the reel ? I can't say as I have ever seen that dreaded loop in a casting reel like I have seen it in a spinning reel. Even so, I suppose if line twist did become an issue in casting gear, drag it behind to boat too.

Does this theory make sense at all ?

Mulley
07-17-2010, 12:40 PM
Ok thanks, I always thought you had to because of twists, except for jerkbaits. Thanks for the reply and tip, I'll try that.

Mark Benson
07-17-2010, 12:47 PM
Ty:

I have been wondering about leaders a lot and probably too much, but for those of us without a clear vision of what you are trying to describe so us in a picture??? Thanks in advance if you can do this!!!

I have been thinking about the uni-knot leader with just a split ring big time, just haven't got it started. Year ago before all of braids, we used to use 30# Magnathin and a snap, trying to get back to that. I had my best years with that line/snap setup!!!

Mark

Dan Hardy
07-17-2010, 12:49 PM
I don't use swivels on any leaders at all. I have had perch pecking at my swivels years ago and if perch can see them so can muskies. How many time have you heard of guys fishing with little jigs and catching muskies? They see small stuff just as much as they see the little things.

here's the solution to perch pecking at your swivels... attach a small single hook to the swivel and have a nice little fish fry.

I use the Stealth Tackle flouro leaders with swivel and stringease snap and seem to have pretty good success working all baits from surface to gliders. I like the idea of bending the wire on bucktails though. Makes sense to avoid twisting.

Dan Hardy

Mark Benson
07-17-2010, 02:57 PM
Grim Reaper used to make a bucktail with that bend... I that bucktail even though I have never produced a muskie on it...

Mark

dmm50
07-18-2010, 09:23 AM
Seems as I am not the only one that battles what leaders to use. I have been switching back and forth for years. I prefer to use a straight wire leader for jerk baits, and flouro for the rest.

Ty, When you fish any of the clearer bodies of water, do you still prefer straight wire?

Ty Sennett
07-20-2010, 06:34 AM
I don't think it matters as much as people say in clear water but I do switch to a stealth flouocarbon leader.