PDA

View Full Version : Pacemaker Repair Question

Shane
07-07-2010, 06:26 PM
I just got this pacemaker a couple weeks ago. Had a couple fish on it and a nice one over 45 last night left it looking like this. The center hooks actually broke I didn't cut them. I was wondering if anyone has had an issue with that rear wire breaking off after bending it back from a 90 like it is. Also if there is a specific hook that works best for the middle trebble.

Thanks for any info.

Shane

curleytail
07-07-2010, 10:09 PM
I'm guessing that fish went a little nuts in the net? I've never had the wire get bent like that, OR (especially) have a hook get broke off like that.

Is that one of the wood Pacemakers? I'm pretty sure the smaller size uses Eagle Claw 774's in 4/0 and I think the bigger one uses the same hook in a 5/0. Maybe the plastic ones have changed but I doubt it.

Like I said I've never had one get bent like that, but I would think you could probably bend it back and be fine. Use your best judgement. If you feel like the wire starts to bend easily by the time it's bent straight you might want to look into putting a new wire shaft on it.

I'm sure Ty will chime in also.

NICE fish by the way.

curleytail

deantre
07-09-2010, 09:15 AM
with the white color showing I would guess this is a new model and there was a post in the last two weeks of one that had the front loop broken off. Ty said they cannot be reshafted because of the bend in the wire for the middle hook. You should be able to bend it back, it is .061 wire and pretty strong. If it does start to feel like it is bending easy after you rebend it a few times then it would be time to retire it. Dean

jdzecr
07-09-2010, 01:16 PM
Time to buy a new one - I personally wouldn't try to mess with it, I think you could maybe make it work but I wouldn't risk it on another fish. My 50 came on pacemaker last year and I'm glad I had one in good condition - the bait will won't run true if you try to bend it. Just my 2cents - sweet fish awesome sunset

jkahler
07-09-2010, 03:38 PM
I had hooks break like that from a 47" and a 38". When they get tangled in the net and the fish thrashes it torques them a bit too much.

I'd just bend the end part and see how it works. If the lure still clicks like that I would leave it, otherwise I snip a 7/0 hook (save em when you have to cut a cowgirl off a fish) so just the shank is there and they thunk pretty cool. If it's a smaller Pacemaker maybe not a 7/0...4/0 or 5/0 will probably do.

Ty Sennett
07-11-2010, 09:56 PM
I can tell you right now that you should probably retire that bait. Any wire that gets bent that bad will be weakened when straitening it out. It's kind of like when a spinnerbait shaft gets bent. It might hold but do you want to take the risk? The ball is in your court. Also that tail is not going to spin with the blade bent like that. Holy cow that fish must have really freaked out. Congrats again on a great fish. Next time catch a more mellow fish.:)