PDA

View Full Version : Jigging For Lakers In The Trout Holes

MUSKY FLYFISH
07-07-2010, 11:31 AM
Hey Steve,
I read have read your Musky reports for years and have fished Eagle for 30 years. But not much for Lakers. I have had success downrigging and jigging. My question is with jigging. I am wondering whether it is acceptable to use a suffix type braided line 6 lb diameter with my baitcaster(Revo) for jigging. I have also considered tying 6-8 foot piece of 14 lb mono to the end of the braided. Any ideas. We will be up for 2 weeks in August 14-27 and again in September 10-22. If the weather is anything like last year in September the fish will still be in Summer mode again. We will have to wait and see.

Thanks

Steve Herbeck
07-07-2010, 12:30 PM
on eagle we prefer to troll covering more ground but certainly jigging spoons,jigs,etc will work as well as drifting or sitting from shore with big live or dead baits though we discourage this method as 90% of all trout regardless of size will be deeply hooked and we request release of all trout over 5-6#.
jigging with fireline or braids in the 10-14# test with 6-8# mono dia . and a 8-10' floro leader of 10-12# on a level wind reel like a toro with a good drag and a 6-7.5' med action with a fast tip is probably the best set up you can put together for jigging. excellent bait response, feel,hooksetting,and a bit of forgiveness.