PDA

View Full Version : fishing report 6/29

Steve Herbeck
06-29-2010, 07:23 PM
sorry about late reports,been swamped guiding and running camp and it just gets harder to into fighting shape every year.
as of today we just went through a small 2 day cold front dropping water temps into the 66-67 degree range from low 70's..will warm back up quickly with nice weather back.
mayflys were sporadically hatching since 6/18 but dropping water temps seem to have stopped them but may return with warming water temps again or it could be it.
despite that walleye fishing has been good with patterns still very similar to previous report with the exception of alot of fish now moving to humps/points/reefs and a very consistant pattern and bite,
some days fish are on top regardless of depth from 12-30' other days or diff structures they are off on the edges or bottom breaks deeper with the avg depths seemingly being 19-24' although last several days have seen a alot of fish on top and shallow.
lots of walleyes of all sizes from 15-25" with a good number of 25-30"+ being caught.
minnows ,crawlers,leeches all catching fish but minnows very consistant day in and day out.the hoffman group had 6 walleyes over 30" last week with danny and there was numerous 26-29" fish throughout camp past 2 weeks.
there have been some big pike 36-42" caught now that there are a few musky fishermen flying baits out there and one of the hoffman boys boated a garatuan heavy built 45"er. lots of pike on the mainlake reefs with the walleyes also.
haven't had alot of musky fishermen yet but the stevens group had 2 50's,and 4 40 to mid 40" stuff with mike and i and scotty and lost 3 big fish,scotty boated a 53".viltofts got thier young sons thier first 3 muskys,the peningtons had 2 mid 40's,martens boated a 42",georgansons boated thier daughter her first a heavy built 46",danny has a 52" to his credit along with 3 mid 40's walleye fishing,and lots of big fish seen,it is very close to breaking wide open.sat,hot humid,water temps over 70 danny was out and had 14 fish 5 over 50 blow up on topwaters hookinging and losing 1 big fish over 50,the cold front sun slowed things abit but today it started picking up again and there's hot weather coming so it will catch up quick.
mostly weeds,topwaters ,tails,and jerkbaits.
bass are now scattered on rock rubble/logs,rock shelves,reeds type of combos along shorelines.topwater,jerk shads,x-raps,tubes.
trout still 65-80',very catchable.
will get a bunch of dyno pics up soon,got a new computer and need some help doing it.
till later good luck!!
got some great availablity in sept yet with a few scattered openingn yet in late aug.
git ner done!!!
herbie
aml

DCates
07-07-2010, 10:33 AM
Fished Eagle last week out of a different camp. Simply not the same experience. Good family time, but not so good from a fishing "direction" standpoint. (Fish Muskies? Why?)

We found Muskies in shallow slop (less than 2' of water). Small baits were key - Mepps #5 sized lures. We caught 5 to 46". We found big fish west (Iowa and Long Bays) but could not get them to eat. 3 50"+ fish to the boat in 2 days, but none opened their mouths. The side of 1 even brushed the boat, and then it laid there looking at us. Late in the week it seemed the fish were transitioning to rocks. The deep cabbage was not as developed as I expected.

On the flip side, my 11 year-old son is now a Walleye fisherman. Live minnows on Lindy Rigs fished 18'-22' deep were the ticket. His first ever Walleye was 25", and he topped the trip with a 28". Many slot fish, and enough under the slot to keep had we kept any.

stardaddyed
07-15-2010, 08:01 AM
DCates your scaring me. A 46 inch fish is a big fish and they have teeth.

I am headed up there in a couple of weeks. I have never fished for muskie so I am a little worried about what I would do with a fish that big! Maybe just cut the line!