PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Report June 26

Dick Wilkening
06-26-2010, 06:36 AM
The walleye fishing remains very strong. I have been catching fish jigging on the pionts and humps in the mornings with 1\8 oz. jigs tipped with either leaches of crawlers. The fish are ranging from 14 to 28 feet of water on the different locations. In the afternoon I have been finding the eyes on the shallow boulder points they are taking plastics on 1\8 oz. jigs.
The mayfly hatch was not very big so it did not seem to have much effect on the fishing. The water temp is starting to move up with the warmer temps we have been having, yesterday the main lake temp reached 72.
The bass have also become more active with the warmer water. They are in shallow working the round boulder areas. I have been casting small crawfish colored lures and jigs with finesse worms.
There is no one in camp targeting the musky so the action remains slow for them. But the northerns are very active in the weed bays. They are taking a variety of lures jerk baits, mepps, and crankbaits.
Dick Wilkening Pro Staff
Witch Bay Camp

Dave B
06-29-2010, 09:00 AM
Dick -- Thanks for the reports. I'll be coming up in a couple of weeks, and really appreciate you letting us know what's going on. But, I still have a bunch a questions I was hoping you might be able to answer. From your experience, where is the lake in its yearly progression? Is it ahead of schedule due to the early ice out and warmer temps early? Or, has the rain and cool weather of late slowed it down, and it is back to about normal? How about the weed beds? Have the reached the surface in the Hay Fields, or is it still somewhat fishable? Are you having luck fishing walleyes along the deep weed edge in Witch Bay this year? Thanks.

Dick Wilkening
06-29-2010, 07:07 PM
Hey Dave
Looking forward to seeing you in camp.
The weed growth is about normal for this time of year. In the hayfield and in front of camp the cabbage is blooming on the top but people are still fishing in the two areas so the weeds are still fishable. Russ and I have both found that there are areas that have had weed in the past that are totally barron this year. It could be because there have been strong hatches of the rusty crawfish in some areas.
The weed lines have been producing very well in the evenings. Most have been producing bass and walleye in the 9 to 12 ft. edges.
The pike have been very active but the musky remain very slow.
Dick Wilkening

Dave B
06-30-2010, 08:29 AM
Dick -- Thanks for the additional information. We are looking forward to seeing you soon. I'm bringing up my two 12 year old boys and my wife. It will be all three's first trip up north, so we are going to be doing a little bit of everything, and I'll be relying on you to put us on the walleye and bass. Its been a few years since I've target those species. Thanks again.