PDA

View Full Version : RFRG 6/20 Fishing Report w/Muskie Matt

Muskie Matt
06-22-2010, 08:15 AM
Here's an area update... Water temps have risen nicely with the arrival of some warmer weather in the area recently. ER Chain temps were around 69-72 degrees. This usually means an upswing in fishing activity with muskie, bass, and panfish. The walleye are still a bit tougher, due in part to a drawn out mayfly hatch, but with some work you can hunt up a few.

I've seen the muskie fishing take a turn for the better with the warmer water temps. They still seem to like smaller baits as of this writing but if warming continues expect the mid-size baits to begin producing well also. Bucktails such as Ghosttail 1's and crank/jerk baits like Sandcats and Suicks will give up fish. Most notable, to me anyway, is the return to surface baits working well. Again, this is due to the warmer water temps speeding up the muskie's metabolism and willingness to chase a bait a bit more. For me, I absolutely love surface bait fishing muskie! Can't beat that rush of adrenaline when they smack stuff on the surface!

Weeds seem to be the key, and surprisingly shallow weeds. Working sub-surface baits in these areas is a bit of work but can be done if attention is paid to how the retrieve is executed. I tell my clients... "remember, the fishing rod is a tool, it has many uses, from the initial cast, to the manner of the retrieve, to fighting your fish, use it".

I was also out on Banana and N Twin lakes, (deeper, clearer waters) this past week and also found fish more active, producing fish from 36-41in. Surface water temps were a bit cooler on these waters as expected but still on the rise.

Also of note: RFRG Outdoors Radio will air this coming week on MONDAY June 28th, 7pm.

Good fishin to everyone this week!