PDA

View Full Version : Bringing fish home

familyguy
06-10-2010, 07:54 AM
Steve,
I'm coming up in a couple weeks, this will be my 1st time at AML. Been up to LOTW the last 3. I've never brought home any fish, it seems like alot of hassle at the border. I was thinking of bringing some home this year, just wondering if you have dry ice there or will regular ice do. I have a 14-15 hour ride home. Any suggestions.
Thanks, see you on the 26th.
GO BLACKHAWKS!

Steve Herbeck
06-10-2010, 08:16 AM
there's really no issues at the border if you are in legal possession. the US customs ask what you are bringing back from canada and you simply tell them the # of fish,i've never actually had fish checked at the US border though i'm sure it could /does happen,they are more concerned with cuban cigars,produce,iteams purchased in canada other than personal iteams,etc any checking of fish if it is done would typically be on the water,on site at the resort or at a roadside stop/check by the MNR unless if at the border you had over limit then they would probably notify the MNR.
dry ice is available in town but we have rarely ever used it but can get it for you if you prefer.
what works good is the night before departure pack the bottom of the cooler with reg ice,cover it with cardboard or some plastic like a garbage bag,put your frozen fish on top,then freeze the whole cooler over nite. it will keep hard for your trip home.
if it is going to be several days then dry ice is probably best but for a 8-15 hr drive and a decent cooler you'll be fine.

familyguy
06-11-2010, 01:31 PM
Thanks Herbie