PDA

View Full Version : Lakers & Whitefish

Hodag 1
06-08-2010, 09:53 AM
Will be up on Eagle in less than two weeks. Want to try Lakers & Whitefish. Based on research, appears that a good method to catch Lakers/Whitefish would be to troll a #1 mepps on a 3 way swivel with a 1 or 2 ounce weight in 30-50ft of water. Any other tips on what to use?

We usually fish areas near Portage Bay for Walleye, Bass, Northern, Musky and thought we would try Portage Bay for Lakers/Whitefish rather than going to the West Arm. Will Portage Bay be productive for Lakers/Whitefish in two weeks or should we make the trip to the West Arm?

ablefish
06-08-2010, 01:59 PM
Hodag,

Your best bet for whitefish and lakers would be Clearwater lake. You might have seen the Woods and Water episode with AML a while back where they were fishing this lake. The lake levels are a bit low so if you are bringing your boat, I would skip it. If you are using the AML boats, you could break in those new Mercs by giving the creek a rip!:)

Steve Herbeck
06-08-2010, 05:01 PM
never used a mepps spinner for lakers,if i did i would use a 4 or 5.a 0 or 1 might be good for whitefish but a small swedish pimple jigged or the smallest sutton would probably work better. the small mepps research you indicated was probably when they were shallow in the spring or in rivers somewhere.
little wolfies,cleos,suttons,flutter spoons,youzis work great for trout,cowbells and big sucker,1/2-1 oz jigs with a sucker strip or bigger swedish pimples/kastmasters jigging work well also.
fished trout on eagle today from 9-12;00 boated 6 lost 3 up to 18-20# smallest 5#.
portage has trout in it's main basin,try 60-80' 55-65' down.