PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Report June 06

Dick Wilkening
06-06-2010, 06:31 AM
Fishing report is a good one this week.
The walleyes are being very cooperative, we have been bottom bouncing, and jigging in the deeper water,20 to 30 ft. And pitching jigs and grubs to the shore lines. Both methods have been producing good fish in size and numbers.
The bass are starting to turn on in good number now. We have been finding them along the shore lines with the walleyes.
The water temp remains at 59 degrees in the bay with some of the back water areas up to as much as 65. We have had a some rain and thunder shower the past few days and the lake level is starting to rise.
I am looking forward to a great week.
Dick Wilkening Pro Staff
Witch Bay Camp

Fivelines
06-07-2010, 06:00 PM
Good afternoon Dick, I hope all is going well for you this year. Let me preface this with a BIG thank you for your much anticipated fishing reports. They truly are a breath of fresh air, when you're trapped here stateside, dreaming about my annual visit to paradise. That being said, let me get your opinion on a matter that has really been bothering me. Over the past 10 years or so, I have witnessed the decline of the yellow perch populations in LOTW'S. I have also witnessed the proliferation of the Double Crested Cormorant. Do you feel their predation is the biggest factor in the perch decline or is the perch population a cyclical thing? If you think the cormorants are the problem, why isn't your Fish and Game doing anything about the clouds of these pests. Have a great season, and keep the reports coming.........Fivelines...........

brian1785
06-07-2010, 11:17 PM
Like Dick said, the fishing has been great. We arrived this past Saturday, June 4th and fished after supper and the fish we caught were shallow. Sunday an Easterly wind picked up and made it a little tougher for us but the fishing was still good, but the bite was a little lighter. Today was sunny w/a light SSW wind so we decided to run "South" through the Narrows and cast the rock bars and points with boulders. We did pretty well w/most of our fish being between 19 and 23 inches with dad catching one at 27 inches. We did find the bass in there as well which was fun. We did start the day jigging in the 23 - 29 ft depths and caught some walleye and perch, but couldn't resist the temptation to throw cranks. Dick told me something before we left the docks today that with the weather being calm and sunny, the walleyes might be up shallow feeding on the crayfish and he was dead on with his prediction. Just a word of advice if/when you come to Witch Bay...listen to Dick!

Dick Wilkening
06-08-2010, 06:53 AM
Hey Fivelines
Great hear from you. We have a few fish reserved for your trip, so hurry on up to see us.
The cormorant population in our area, being the northeastern portion of LOW,
has remained fairly steady over the years. We have some here but not enough to do that much damage. I think the increase in the walleye and northern population is having a much greater effect on the perch. We were actually just commenting on this a couple of days ago that the perch we are getting a long walleyes have been getting bigger over the last few years. I'm thinking only the bigger one can servive.
Dick Wilkening Pro Staff

brian1785
06-08-2010, 09:15 PM
Speaking of perch, while fishing today we caught SOME perch, not a lot, but one measured on the bump board we had in the boat at 13 inches. Thought is was a small walleye then saw it at boatside and it was spitting up crayfish. It was a beauty for sure. Rained most of the day today, but supposed to be better weather for tomorrow.