PDA

View Full Version : Ford

rambler
06-05-2010, 09:34 AM
Last night launched my 21' boat at Escanaba and made a bumpy ride to the mouth of the Ford. Started fishing a after 7 trolling mostly crankbaits and a couple of crawler harnesses. Andrew caught the first Walleye just after 9 and the it was steady action until we pulled the last of our limit of ten fish just before midnight. One 16 inch fish, the rest were 20-24plus inches. Beautiful fish for sure.
All of Andrew's fish came on a black/white jointed rapala and he caught most of the early fish. When we turned the boat to troll south (the wind had died down)
I started to get bit. Pulled my fish with a wonderbread glow ripstick and a purple Bomber long A. We were trolling 1.2-1.6 and slower seemed better. And it was the shallow side of the boat that was more active. The boat was in abut 12 feet of water. We marked tons of fish stacked up and it was fun to see them laying low, side by side on my humminbird side imaging sonar.

The methods, the lures and even the places to fish have all come from this website. Lots of people generously sharing their knowledge and experiences.
Thanks everyone!

WalligatorGetter
06-06-2010, 02:04 PM
Congrats again, Rambler! Sounds like you had a good time at the Ford. Did you get any real hawgs like last time or just the standard 25 and 26 inchers?

rambler
06-06-2010, 05:23 PM
25 inchers are hawgs to me...........that time before was off the charts.
Off to Minnesota for a week of fishing with friends and family next Wed. A small lake in the Superior National Forest over the week end with some friends and my Granddaughter. Then I meet up with my brother Monday on Mille Lacs to fish that for the night bite Mon. and then Tue. day. Back to the U.P. with my youngest sons family and a few days up in Big Bay on Lake Independence, fishing and watersports with the youngsters. May hit the Bays de Noc later in the week or possibly try for some Salmon at Fairport with my son one morning if it looks worthwhile.
We have had some good eating here the last couple of days, last night the wife and I ate a meal of Walleye cheeks from that last bunch of fish. MMMMMMMMMMMHHHHHHHHHH

acesario
06-06-2010, 11:58 PM
Thanks for the great evening on the water Lloyd. And thanks to everyone on the site too!!
My freezer is filling up quickly this year... lets keep at it!!!
-andrew

WalligatorGetter
06-07-2010, 09:51 AM
Okay, maybe I should rephrase that to “trophies” You know, the kind that are bigger than anything that I’ve ever caught down there. You’re right, 25 inchers are hawgs. The thing is, 25 inchers really aren’t rare down there either. If I catch 10 fish, usually three are going to exceed that. However, I have never caught monsters like the two of you caught last time. Usually 28 is about the biggest for me. Congrats again!:)

acesario
06-07-2010, 11:12 AM
I agree, that was an incredible night... 28 and 30 in the same evening. My next personal best will get mounted for sure, but this gives me more reason to keep fishing BBDN and LBDN!

I probably should have mounted the 28 and 30 I caught that night... but the pictures and memories are good enough for me along with a few great meals for my family.

I was shocked when Lloyd put that 31" fish back in the water, but I respect the sentiment.