PDA

View Full Version : Salmon

Swamp Rat
06-01-2010, 09:13 PM
A friend of mine heard that they are starting to pick up a few salmon off of Fairport and Washington Island. Just wondering if anyone else has heard of anything? I know it is a little early but I am getting the itch for a good fight from a 20# salmon. Thanks for ant info.

tomjohn
06-02-2010, 08:26 AM
You heard right. They are catching them out of Fairport.

DooFighter
06-02-2010, 09:12 AM
Be prepared to work for them. It ain't easy yet.

jerkbait
06-04-2010, 11:56 AM
Been itchin for some silver action. Cant wait to get a fish on! We will be fishing my buddies 23'er this year at the july 10th Fair Port Tourney. This will be my first salmon derby so Im all excited about it. If anyone has any info on this tourney please send it my way. Looking at staying at Fayette but if there is a better campground closer to Fair Port please fill me in on that as well. Hope to get some practice at the Ford River can area soon too.

bring on the Kings
Jerkbait

Phlounder
06-04-2010, 01:02 PM
Weather looks right for a run to Whalesback tomorrow morning. I know it's early but I am hoping to be the first with good news...

jerkbait
06-04-2010, 02:56 PM
How many miles is whalesback from Cedar River? I wanna say 11-12 but cant remember.

The Bait Shop Guy
06-04-2010, 03:36 PM
It's about a 7 mile run from the Cedar River. About the same a running to the FRC from Escanaba.

COACH DONBOB
06-04-2010, 04:34 PM
A friend of mine heard that they are starting to pick up a few salmon off of Fairport and Washington Island. Just wondering if anyone else has heard of anything? I know it is a little early but I am getting the itch for a good fight from a 20# salmon. Thanks for ant info.

Went out sat 0 for 6
Went sun 2 for 3
Went wens 5 for 5 5 to 8 # s wens and 16 13 # s sun had a great time

COACH DONBOB
06-04-2010, 04:43 PM
:) went out on sat had some great action but none in the boat 0 -6w
went back out sunday and landed 2-3 16#and 13# went again wensday
and went 5-5 all about 5#to 8# s but had a hell of a time , cant wait for
saterday!!!

good luck guys
Don

chuie
06-09-2010, 02:58 PM
Any new updates on fishing there looking to head that way in two weeks

Phlounder
06-11-2010, 09:14 AM
You should be fine in 2 weeks to go anywhere you're familiar with except maybe FRC or off Esky. Positive reports from Fairport & Manistique are coming in and there have been a few fish caught here and there off CR too. I caught a couple off CR last weekend, both on full core of lead and lost one on a free slider off a DR. All mag size spoons. Most importantly, the baitfish are showing up so the bigfish will be too.

The Bait Shop Guy
06-11-2010, 10:07 AM
There have already been a few kings taken off of the Can and Portage Point. No big numbers yet, most people are getting one or two a trip so far.

thunds2
06-12-2010, 08:29 AM
Heading out somewhere today. Was wondering if anyone has heard anything about the fishing by chambers island? Last weekend we fished algoma and crushed them, wish the fishing was like that around here all the time. Anyone fish the whales back lately?

Swamp Rat
06-13-2010, 08:40 AM
Fished off the ford river can last night with no luck. Didn`t even mark anything. But a friend of mine did land a 15# about 2 miles south of the can. So we headed for the ford for some walleye action. Didn`t take long. As I was putting out the 3rd. line a fish about ripped it out of my hands. A nice 27 incher. We fished from 8-11:30 landing 6 fish from 15-27 inches. We were using #9 Husky jerks. Black and gold, Black and silver, and firetiger were the colors we used. We also lost several fish and caught some throwbacks. 7-12 ft. of water just south of the river. Hopefully I can get back out soon.

DooFighter
06-13-2010, 10:52 PM
1/2 out of Cedar River tonight. Pretty slow, both hits around 7pm. Fished 6-9pm. Fish on a rigger with a yellowtail 63 down, other hit on a wire dipsy 160 back with a flasher/fly. What a beautiful night to be on the water, though! DNR nosed up to us while trolling, just asked us some questions and went on their way. I think they were out of menominee but not sure. It wasn't the cedar river boat and they took off south.

waterwalker
06-14-2010, 11:38 AM
We have been doin pretty well out of Mwnominee/Marinette the last two weeks. We have been getting at least 4 fish per trip, including a 8-12 trip last sunday. been catching most fish north of green island in 85 fow. Out of all the fish we caught and others ive heard of, not one fish has come on a flasher/fly. been getting hits from 30 down to 90 down. If you do venture down here beware there are nets north of the red can of green island this year.

COACH DONBOB
06-14-2010, 08:55 PM
Sat Night Very Slow, Didn't Get Any Thing Until Just Before Dark 2 - 2 Small Ones But Happy To Finally Get Some . Sunday Not A Bite .
Used A Mix Of Flies , meat Rigs And Spoons, The Spoons Worked, Went And Tried A Few Different Colors But White Worked.