PDA

View Full Version : May 28th report

Ty Sennett
05-31-2010, 12:08 PM
We started at 1PM and fished until dark for walleyes. The first hour or two we threw jig and crawlers in the weeds and caught a whole lot of nothing. The perch stole most of our offerings. We switched to throwing ringworms and right away caught about a twenty incher. We steadily caught fish on ringworms the rest of the day. Not sure how many we caught but it was a lot. At one point all three of us had a walleye on at once. The biggest we caught for the day was a 22 incher. We threw back the larger ones and kept some good eating sized ones. We also caught a muskie just over forty inches I'd guess. That was quite a fight on eight pound line. We had a great time and the walleye were active. Great way to end my walleye trips for the year.

RobertTB
05-31-2010, 05:04 PM
So, you back off the walleye and bass, Ty. Then..do you have one of your cronies that does hang with walleye and do you kind of keep tabs on what is happening walleye wise throughout the year ? I find them pretty tough when I show up in the summer. You know. Any future tips you'd care to offer when I get burned out Muskie fishin' ?
Thanx.

Ty Sennett
06-01-2010, 08:18 AM
Actually June is the best month of the year for walleye fishing but muskie fishing pays the bills for me so I stick with them. When you come up the best way to catch walleye is night fishing. You probably remember when we were little kids staying out until midnight to get some good walleye fishing in. Now a days parents would be thrown in jail for letting a ten year old take a boat out at night like that. Twister tails, Rapalas, jig and crawlers are some of the good ways for you to get fish at the time you're up here Robert. You about have to night fish though. You will catch 5 at night for every one during the day at least.

Mark Benson
06-01-2010, 03:02 PM
Ty:

Still digging for a little more info regarding the ringworms... Were you threading the ringie on the tube jig hook and was the jig you were using a 1/4 oz.??? Once impaled is there a particular color(s) that seem to be working, natural or bright??? Then finally are you swimming it, jigging it, dragging it or looking for the right action by trying the above actions to find the right one for the time you are on the water.

Mark

Ty Sennett
06-02-2010, 08:01 AM
I'm using a 1/8th oz for shallow areas and 1/4 oz for deeper areas. The 1/8 is nice for thick weeds because it stays above them nice. For a good example look at lurepartsonline.com That company is Stamina. Look at the Barbarian Bullet Nose Bass Jigs. That's the kind of jig I use but I make my own with daiichi hooks. They also have the 4" ringworms there. By the time you get them the bite might be over because it is very short lived but you will have them for next year. Rig them like you would a twister tail. Pretty plain and simple. Use them the same way but with more hopping action than straight reeling.

Mark Benson
06-02-2010, 09:31 AM
Ty:

You have a private message.

That's perfect on the weight(s). I have the ringies from the Mississippi River fishing. Crawlers were working well last time out on the Flambeau Chain, but a great backup if the non-desirables decide to make working even a half a crawler difficult a good backup plan. For colors I would suspect you are using the brighter colors, where I might be able to utilize the blacks purple, etc.

Thanks for hanging in there with me with the questions, as I have heard that they were effective in a non-river application. I was just curious as you were one of the first to mention it outside of IN-Depth Outdoors.

Mark

Ty Sennett
06-07-2010, 07:10 AM
Hey Mark, the bright colors were good during the day and dark colors at night. I don't think there is anyone out here fishing these rigs. Everyone I've told gave me a funny look. The one thing that you should know is that the fish have to be active for this technique. I kind of doubt in the last few days that ringworms would work with all the fronts that went through. It seems that steady weather is key.

Mark Benson
06-07-2010, 11:02 AM
I agree Ty with your assessment on the activity of the fish. In fact as much as I will try to fish with gulp when my friends think I am nuts, I think you have to have a good school of active fish for you to be consistent with it. But it always fun to fish the Dirk Digler bait just to see if you can get fish to hit it. Usually the bigger ones do...

Mark