View Full Version : The fishing is awesome...

Ranger Rick
05-30-2010, 11:39 AM
I don't how many of you all are planning to come up to Eagle River, but in 30 years of guiding here I haven't seen a Memorial Day bite like this for all species ever!

Folks are reporting catches of walleye, panfish, northern pike and smallies. (Of course they are being released). I personally have not guided a party to less than 20 walleye since the season started, the bite has been that good.
The last two 1/2 day guide jobs we boated 25 and 26 walleyes respectively with number of bonus perch, northern pike, largemouth bass and an occasional musky. All are on jig and fathead combinations.

Speaking of muskies, Mark Rottier has been seeing quite a few the last 2 days. I personally have heard of 45's, a 44, and several in the 30's being caught early Saturday morning. They are hitting some fairly large bucktails already even though it is early in the season. I personally would try throwing a surface bait in the early mornings and evenings till dark. During the day the Eagle River Wiz, other small spinners, and minnows baits twitched on the surface are taking muskies. The water temperatures are way up at 72.5 degrees on the Eagle Chain! Supprisingly, that is the early morning water temperature! Unbeleiveably it is getting up to 75 degrees by 3 PM.

I have a few more walleye guide jobs this week, then it is time to hit the muskies!! Can't wait!!

The "Bait Depot" our satallite shop, is doing great on the Eagle River Chain selling licenses, musky tackle and live bait. I want to Thank those of you that have supported it's presence at Boat Sport. Brittany T. Brittany W. and Tish Meulemann are eager to help anyone that comes in. The hours are 7 Am to 6 Pm daily through Labor Day Weekend. The phone is 715-477-0800.

If you can sneak up to Eagle River to fish for a few days, it will be worth your while because THE BITE IS ON!!

See you on the water,

Ranger Rick