PDA

View Full Version : Musky Opener Report

Pete Stoltman
05-30-2010, 04:43 AM
Here's a quick report on opening day of musky season. HOT and sunny made for a steamy day on the water. Fished two lakes today and saw water temps from 67 to 74. Overall not much activity. Had one slow lazy follow this morning and my buddy Jay caught a pike. Not too exciting for starters. Frankly we were surprised at not seeing more bass or pike action. Got out in the evening to see if the fish would turn on after the pontoon parade and tubers left the lake. Had one fish on but got off. DANG! Well, at least we're in season and WILL crack the code on these fish soon. 45" pool at the Musky Shop is still safe as far as I know.

Muskie Matt
05-30-2010, 08:23 AM
Here's what I found on the ER Chain... water temp 72-74.
Had a group of 7 out on a pontoon doing some panfishing, the whole family! We hammered the perch with minnows, lot of smaller ones but was pleased to have a couple dozen nice 12in'ers to keep and clean for dinner. The kids had a riot and it was a hoot working with them!

In our travels on the Chain we did come across a 41in muskie floating belly up. She had a little twitch left in her but alas she didn't make it, a shame but it happens. Good release practices, keep in mind time out of the water especially during this warm weather we're currently experiencing.

We'll talk all about our area fishing, release techniques, etc. tonight on RFRG Outdoors radio, 7pm. Use the links on our website to listen to us live!