PDA

View Full Version : What will the Smallies be doing?

jbmuskie
05-26-2010, 03:38 PM
Hi Matt & Pete,
Just wondering where I might find the smallies on the deeper/clearer lakes next week. With all the hot weather you've had I've been wondering if they'll be post spawn. I know those lakes warm up a lot slower, but I bet that hot weather you had really got them going. Anyways, just curious where you might think they'd be or how the smallies will be then.
Thanks for your help. You guys have always been helpful and I appreciate your advice. And once again, if I can tear myself off the lake Sunday night, we'll stop in for your show.

Muskie Matt
05-29-2010, 08:44 AM
I don't believe they will have gone deep by the time of your visit. A week ago they were just setting up to spawn on a favorite lake, difference this year will probably be that they'll go quick then move off a bit deeper. They'll hang around the nests for the hatch and with warmer water earlier this year that may not be long.

I use spinner baits when they're shallow and tube jigs when they move a bit deeper.

jbmuskie
05-29-2010, 10:46 PM
Thanks for the info. Sounds great! Can't wait to get there!

Pete Stoltman
06-02-2010, 05:45 AM
It appears that the smallies ARE going pretty fast. Deep clear lakes though we're still finding them on or nearby beds. Not sure how long that will hold. Hopefully through the weekend but we'll see.

Pete Stoltman
06-02-2010, 05:52 AM
Tried to post a couple photos from last weekend but had some issues. Let's try again. These were 18" and 19" smallmouth. That's been about the average size I'm catching right now. Smallest ones in the lakes have been about 17" but on the river down to 15". They're all a blast though!